Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I’m getting a buzzing/rattle above the drivers door from the headliner, I’ve noticed that there’s some give when I push it on that side but on the passenger side it’s solid.

I’m wondering if it’s not been fitted properly, has anyone else had this and is it just a case of the dealer refitting?

I think they’re getting sick of seeing me!

·
Registered
Up GTI, 3 door
17 Posts
Are you sure it’s not coming from the B Pillar? I get an intermittent high frequency rattle/buzzing. At the moment it’s stopped, it comes and goes, it’s highly annoying!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it’s not coming from the B Pillar? I get an intermittent high frequency rattle/buzzing. At the moment it’s stopped, it comes and goes, it’s highly annoying!
It could be, I thought it was from the A pillar originally. However the fact that there is give along the top makes me think it’s that as like I said, the passenger side has no give at all when pressed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another suggestion that I've heard on mine - the top rear corner of the drivers door moves slightly against the seal and causes a faint noise, it seems worse when its warm outside and on slightly rougher surfaces. This could be the noise you're hearing. Seems unlikely but its from that area so its maybe worth a shout.
And as a dealer tech, I can confirm that they will be sick of seeing you! Don't let that stop you going back in though ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be, I thought it was from the A pillar originally. However the fact that there is give along the top makes me think it’s that as like I said, the passenger side has no give at any
Another suggestion that I've heard on mine - the top rear corner of the drivers door moves slightly against the seal and causes a faint noise, it seems worse when its warm outside and on slightly rougher surfaces. This could be the noise you're hearing. Seems unlikely but its from that area so its maybe worth a shout.
And as a dealer tech, I can confirm that they will be sick of seeing you! Don't let that stop you going back in though ;)
How do I check if it’s the door rubbing the seal? Lubricate the seal?
The headlining around that top bit of the door arch is loose, it’s not tight like the passenger side, if I press on it, it feels hollow behind whereas the passenger side feels solid. As a tech why do you think this is and can it be refitted. That’s all I want them to do, rectify any faults.

Oh and I don’t care if they’re sick of seeing me, the feeling is mutual, I’m getting sick of taking my car down there all the time!😂😂

I’ll be on their Christmas party list soon!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Get someone to press on parts that seem noisy when you're driving. But, it's been said many times that buzzes and rattles can come from distant or unexpected places...

·
Registered
594 Posts
But, it's been said many times that buzzes and rattles can come from distant or unexpected places...
Correct ! My wife had a really annoying rattle and insisted it came from the glove box area . When I drove it it was definitely coming from the glove box area. However when I sat in the passenger seat the noise was 100% certainly ( I thought) coming from the drivers door area !
Wrong !! Turned out it was a pair of rattling sunglasses in the cubby hole above the interior light.
The acoustics play tricks on the mind !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I can feel the door moving if I put my finger in the gap in the corner, a little pressure stops the noise. Yes I'd say lubricating the seal would help at least for a while but if you're sure the headlining is loose then its more likely to be that or something behind it.
Difficult to know exactly whats going on without seeing it but I'd be inclined to pop the door seal off at the top and see if theres anything obviously unusual behind it or the headlining that's out of place.
Maybe showing us a picture would help if there's anything thats clear enough to see?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I can feel the door moving if I put my finger in the gap in the corner, a little pressure stops the noise. Yes I'd say lubricating the seal would help at least for a while but if you're sure the headlining is loose then its more likely to be that or something behind it.
Difficult to know exactly whats going on without seeing it but I'd be inclined to pop the door seal off at the top and see if theres anything obviously unusual behind it or the headlining that's out of place.
Maybe showing us a picture would help if there's anything thats clear enough to see?
I’d rather not mess around with it as I have no idea what I’m doing and don’t want them to turn around and say because I’ve messed with it it will void the warranty for that part, I’ll see what they say, they’ll see that it’s looser than the passenger side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts