Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i have the driver's seat quite upright i find the headrest just grazes my hair and it is really annoying. Reclining the seat by one slot gives enough of a gap to stop the grazing. Anyone else irritated by this?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not in the least. You could always saw the headrest off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Become a Skinhead
Simples!

Go well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
AlanG said:
When i have the driver's seat quite upright i find the headrest just grazes my hair and it is really annoying. Reclining the seat by one slot gives enough of a gap to stop the grazing. Anyone else irritated by this?

Errrr no, to be honest. I know the problem though, I used to have a BMW that seemed to have a velcro headrest and despite my advanced age I still have hair. I can't say I have a problem with the Up though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Has the thinking behind headrest (perhaps more accurately headrestraint) technology changed?
Years ago, 'active' headrestraints were the fashion - in the event of an impact, the restraint moved forward to meet the driver's head moving backwards, thus minimising whiplash (that was the theory, I believe.)
Has that theory been disproved? We've gone back to fixed types, albeit they are now an extension of the seat and cannot be adjusted for height - rather than the earlier type 'planted' on the top of the seat, but adjustable for height?
Drivers used to have to adjust the level of these older types according to their physical height (a too-low-set headrestraint could actually cause serious damage in the event of an impact.
The new part-of-the-seat type have no adjustment, so as we are all different shapes, our reaction/comfort could be very different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I find the angle of the non-adjustable headrests to be a bit lacking too. I have to keep the seat back very upright for the headrest to be in contact with my head. I have got used to it though. It's ok for a round town car.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The seats and the head restraints are very similar in style to the seats fitted to racing cars, aren't they? They don't have adjustable head restraints.

Nick

·
Registered
604 Posts
Maybe they changed them because people weren't adjusting them properly and causing more damage to themselves, so a universal type has had to be adopted

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I like them. Look like sporty seats... Hehe...

·
Registered
583 Posts
AlanG said:
Nope.
I've had a car with integrated headrests since 2005.
Always had the seat rather upright.
No annoying grazing issues.

I do have a short haircut though

·
Registered
583 Posts
spud said:
Maybe they changed them because people weren't adjusting them properly and causing more damage to themselves, so a universal type has had to be adopted
That's the reason Volvo uses them.
They simply can't be improperly adjusted as there is no adjustment .

(read : set dangerously low, which can break your neck; or too far back which could mean you still end up with whiplash)

On the up!, VW probably uses them because they can be made marginally cheaper ...
Edited by: _1S_

1 - 12 of 12 Posts