Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that the Australian map was last updated in 2012, I contacted Navigon (that took forever to get through) and queried when we were getting an update, only to be told they don't support the GPS anymore as per August 2013. Sent VW a "please explain" email a month ago.
Finally have received an answer from VW Australia regarding the Navigon dropping of support. Looks like Garmin, who own Navigon have come to the party and are now going to support our map updates for Australia. their reply to me today.

"I have been advised that an update for the up! will be available from week 25 of 2014 for download.

Please refer to the link below,
https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site/fresh"

Good news

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't know what it's like in Australia. In the UK at the rate new roads are built updates every ten years is plenty lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Depends which part of the UK. I have Q1/2014 maps and it's out of date in a couple of places already...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Garmin now have taken over, the maps will be compatible with the navigon version but obviously the live services etc are hardware dependent and the old navigon units (ie mine :-( ) wont support that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!
Volkswagen Australia have issued a full refund for the Maps and More component of the original accessory purchase price, $A500. In other words, they sold me a accessory that was redundant (updates), the letter basically states, here's the money, now go away. I've contacted Garmin International also about if there is going to be any updates for the Australian map, no reply.

Now I have an issue with the white piping on my leatherette seats deteriorating, but that will be another post, fight with VW Australia!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi DB007,

I am an Australian Up owner with Maps and More too. I have noticed the lack of support from VW, which is pretty shocking given the size of the company. Would you be willing to private message me a copy of the letter you sent to VW, as well as the email address at VW that you sent it to? If not an email address, a link to the appropriate page on their website would be helpful too. Maps and More actually gets on my nerves as bit, as everytime I have go on the Ipswich motorway west of Brisbane, Maps and More gets totally confused by the newly finished road upgrades, as well as all the the new road sections in Brisbane itself. I would appreciate a refund on the Maps & More too if only for the constant inconvenience of having to use my iPhone for navigation when the Maps & More has issues. Not good enough VW!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed Navigon Fresh, it advises that the last update to Australianmaps available is Q3/2012. Not much use in 2015.
Should I be looking at Garmin Fresh instead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm an Australian UP owner and I've had my car in to James Frizelles 9 times to fix the maps n more.

We origionally took it in as the connection was intermittantly cutting out during music playback etc.

They updated the firmware and now it just freezes up. The touch screen is non responsive, the entire unit is basically bricked. You can even switch it off until it runs out of battery as the reset and power buttons often don't work.

Over the last 6 times the car has been in for service the unit has been replaced 3 times and the cabling under the dash to the unit has been replaced once. Every time they give me the car they say it is fixed. Works for a week. Then we pair our phones and away we go. Broken in 3 days. Touch screen non-responsive.

I've spoken with VW Australia about the issue and they had advised to give James Frizelles one more chance to fix it and call back. I'll be ringing this week.

I am 95% sure it's the firmware. If I could get a copy of an older one it might just fix this bug with the Australian device. The 'fresh' software doesn't seem to be able to offer any downloads for older firmware. No surprises there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts