Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today this happened, im absolutley gutted, a pretty much head on collision with a muppet in a mitsabishy pick up, i thought I would post because as you can see the car kept me alive and I walked away with nothing more than a few cuts and bruises and a very sore neck, even in the worst scenario this car has impressed me, I want another one.

Rip my lil gti

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Glad you're in one piece; crumple zones and air bags are wondrous things.
Edit: Be aware that posting accident photos online may impact any legal matters regarding the accident. I learnt of this issue in the US, but a quick check reveals it is relevant to the UK as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gutted for you. Hope no one was injured.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No images of the other car as wasn't particularly thinking straight and didn't take any, baring in mind I hit mitsubishi l200 tho I genuinly cannot believe how well the up held up, i hit at around 60mph, and as scary as it was I opened the door and walked away, and the pics do not look like that kind of crash, i have always thought these cars where incredible value for money when it comes to performance i now believe the exact same thing when it comes to safety

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dan
The single most important thing is you're OK, the rest is only metal and money, probably replaced under insurance
Thank the EU and NCAP for a 5 star rating which is what saved you, and allows the rest of us to breath easy. VW put everything they knew into the car and it shows every time we drive. One of the reasons I chose the UP! cos' SH*T happens. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely gutted for you, Dan.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say I'm just glad you're okay and wish you all the best whilst you recover.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As said above the main thing is that you are ok, cars and material things can be replaced people cannot.

Interesting set of pics the car seems to have performed exactly as the NCAP crash test on YouTube showed. No internal intrusion or deformation of the passenger compartment which is quite something for that kind of speed vs an oncoming vehicle of the size and mass of an l200.
I did something similar in an Astra 22+ years ago 60-0 in 18 inches, blacked out but uninjured. A good advert for modern car design.

Not that you’d want to but look up the NCAP crash test for the Rover Metro or Fiat Seicento on YouTube, underlines how bad small car safety was only a few years ago. I think those were the worst cars they ever tested.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Problem with NCAP is that they redefine the star ratings every so many years, so a 5 star or 1 star car from 20 years ago is not the same a current or recently tested car with 5 or 1 stars. The bar is constantly raised, quite rightly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Problem with NCAP is that they redefine the star ratings every so many years, so a 5 star or 1 star car from 20 years ago is not the same a current or recently tested car with 5 or 1 stars. The bar is constantly raised, quite rightly.
V.true interesting to see what happened even when the bar was set lower though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, the Up has slipped from 5 to 3 (I think) starts but the core crash protection protection is still there and equal to/ better than its peer group. The revisions and subsequent lost of points relate to pedestrian impact protection and the lack of standard city braking (offered as an option)/ or autonomous braking. I'm happy with my 5 stars...............current at date of first registration. 👍😉

·
Registered
1 Posts
No images of the other car as wasn't particularly thinking straight and didn't take any, baring in mind I hit mitsubishi l200 tho I genuinly cannot believe how well the up held up, i hit at around 60mph, and as scary as it was I opened the door and walked away, and the pics do not look like that kind of crash, i have always thought these cars where incredible value for money when it comes to performance i now believe the exact same thing when it comes to safety
Hey mate, really sorry to hear about the crash. I was just browsing the up forum and was wondering how much the insurers stung you for on the modifications you made to your car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did the Mitsubishi pull out from a side road? If it was a head on collision surely the other side (driver's side) would have been the point of contact in a collision?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi there, sorry for the late reply, as I no longer have the car i am very rarely on here, what do you mean when you ask how much the insurance stung me for, if you mean on my premium i paid £300 quid extra declaring a stage 1 remap springs and spacers and miltek exhaust, if you talking in terms of pay out the list price of my car was 17.2k I spent 1.5k on mods and only got 11.8k when it was written off, hope this answers the question

1 - 18 of 18 Posts