Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their heater fan only working on full power (setting 4)? For other VW models this seems to be a blown resistor. There is a replacement resistor for the UP! on eBay but I've not found resistor replacement instructions on the internet. Anyone replaced this part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue. I tried to type in the URLs which you posted but as they are pretty long I couldn't get them to work. Anyone's know how to convert the typed message to a link on an iPad ?. Alternatively, any chance you could post the links please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does this mean we can disconnect this resistor to improve mpg? if only using the heater at setting 4 uses heat from the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi and thanks very much for posting the links. At a risk of being a complete pain, could someone please post the links for removing the centre trim and the lower A post trim because these are the ones that I can't seem to find the locations of the screws for. Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks once again for trying to help. Sadly, I still can't find how to remove either the centre trim or the A panel trim from these links but I'm very grateful for your efforts. Spent 2 hours in the car yesterday trying to find the screws but no luck. I don't want to ruin the trim by levering it off with a large screw driver so if anyone knows how to take these bits off, that would be reall y great.Merry Christmas to all the forum members

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with their heater fan only working on full power (setting 4)? For other VW models this seems to be a blown resistor. There is a replacement resistor for the UP! on eBay but I've not found resistor replacement instructions on the internet. Anyone replaced this part?
Yes, I have. I always had the fan on setting 1 just to keep the car from steaming up, but it now only works on setting 4. Actual heater appears to be fine, and if the fan didn’t work at all, I’d check the fuse!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having had the same problem on our Seat Mii, sourced a resistor and fan unit from a breakers via EBay for £30. OK didn’t actually require the fan but the question has to be asked, why did the resistor fail? Was it just the resistor unit became detective of did something cause it eg high inertia of the fan itself requiring more power to start it rotating. My rationale was if I’ve everything to hand it’ll definitely get fixed in one go. Doing some research, there is a heat sensitive fuse across the rear terminals of the resistor unit which my gut told me it has probably gone open circuit. Finding 3 of these fuses for £2.99 again on eBay ( The fact they’re so readily available suggests a weakness across all the VAG range).

Anyway, cracked on with the job today and followed the instructions on this form and a short YouTube video. Hardest part to suss out was removing the trim above the centre console. I began by prising the side from the open glovebox, logic being if any marks were caused they wouldn’t so too much. Thankfully it released easily and the whole panel pulled out from the clips. The only other screw that was a pain to remove was the one above the bonnet release. Access was gained by bending the trim and allowing a small ratchet in. Funnily enough forgot to replace this one…..

Replacement part worked perfectly and testing the old unit showed the blown fuse. New one soldered in and I now have a spare resistor unit and Fan.
Still worked out cheaper than a new part from a dealer!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I can follow the idea of having normal resistors that get switched into the circuit to the fan, to drop or increase power to it, and these would clearly have to be of high-enough current capability to not burn out (and to be able to dissipate any heat generated). They may burn out if the fan stalls by being blocked if they are under-specced (especially the one for fan speed 1) but are you saying there is 4th component, i.e. a therrmistor? - I can't quite figure it out from the description!

If so, I assume it's a PTC type, as I can't see the point unless it was supposed to protect the fan motor. Do you have a link or a part number?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can follow the idea of having normal resistors that get switched into the circuit to the fan, to drop or increase power to it, and these would clearly have to be of high-enough current capability to not burn out (and to be able to dissipate any heat generated). They may burn out if the fan stalls by being blocked if they are under-specced (especially the one for fan speed 1) but are you saying there is 4th component, i.e. a therrmistor? - I can't quite figure it out from the description!

If so, I assume it's a PTC type, as I can't see the point unless it was supposed to protect the fan motor. Do you have a link or a part number?

Apologies for confusing you as well as myself. I erroneously referred to the component on the rear of the unit as a thermal resistor instead of a thermal fuse, Doh!!! Hope it makes a lot more sense now. (I’ve edited my previous post in the hope I don’t confuse anyone else)

The link you requested. I realise this one refers to Citroen and Fiat but they are identical.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Aha! So are you saying have replaced a single non-resetable thermal fuse with a new one, and the unit now works? And no need to touch the (big) resistors that control fan speed?

You bought a 216 degC one by the look of it - readers should note that for other cars, they might use fuses of various temps, and you need to match the one you already have!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts