Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So, been looking through loads of forums on here and reading everyone's experiences on driving the Up!

I've been looking at the High Up! 75bhp ASG in Oryx White. I've done loads of research on the car and also had a test drive in the ASG on Saturday (10th May). I enjoyed the test drive, found it quite bouncy but that could be because I've only ever driven my 2004 Auto Toyota Yaris Verso since passing my test 2 and a half years ago :L

I've read loads of reviews on the ASG and it doesn't seem to go very smoothly. I've read that sometimes it won't change gear on time or it stops completely on busy roundabouts etc. On the other hand I've read people saying that you need to understand the gearbox and get the feeling of when it's going to change gear and when it does, you need to let go of the accelerator a little to let it change gear more smoothly and therefore you will like the ASG.

I technically can drive a manual but I haven't since passing my test just because I like the convenience of an auto and the fact that I can't stall! :p

So, people that have an ASG, is it okay? Do you like it?

All opinions welcome :)

x

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Bethan and welcome to the forum. I have had my ASG for eighteen months and am quite satisfied with it. Some have had bad experiences with their cars but I don't believe this to be typical. You need to bear in mind that the ASG is an automated clutch and not automatic gearbox. I have experienced a lag in gear change a couple of times and on one occasion the lag was quite long. However I have just had a software update which appears to have improved things. Suggest you try to have a longer test drive or find someone near with an ASG to take you out. It doesn't seem to suit everyone but for me personally its fine. The High Up is well equiped, good luck.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Bethan,

And welcome to the forum!

Oryx White?
This is VERY special! I think less 1% have it! Very expensive.
My coleague was married to a professional car painter and when she heard about Oryx white she just said: "Oh my God!" Must be a horror for car painters???

But if you like to pay the high extra price - why not?

Can't say anything about the ASG. More than 30 years with "normal cars". I drove Polo and Lupo before and this will be my with car with reverse "down right" and not "up left" ...

I will also get a high up! (this or next week) in black with Salsa Red / Beige seats and a red dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it will my first ever brand new car (my first one was a hand-me-down!) and I thought I might as well make it special! :)

Have fun with your new Up! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beevee said:
I have had my ASG for eighteen months and am quite satisfied with it. Some have had bad experiences with their cars but I don't believe this to be typical. I have experienced a lag in gear change a couple of times and on one occasion the lag was quite long. However I have just had a software update which appears to have improved things. It doesn't seem to suit everyone but for me personally its fine. The High Up is well equiped, good luck.

Thank you Beevee for the advice :) I am seeing the dealer again this Friday, so if he has time I might always ask for another, longer, test drive. (The one I had was okay, only a little jumpy on hills). I think I will go for it. It's like any new car, it will take some time to get the feel for it :)

Thank you once again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi there and welcome ,I have never driven the Asg so can not say, the last auto I drove was a rover 2000 TC brown
Many years ago, you say you are driving a automatic now ,I think you should go back to the dealer and explain
Your concern, and try and get them to give you a good hours drive to satisfy your self and go from there ,
Well good luck on your choice ,and hope it's the right one, the up is a lovely car for comfort and drive ,
It definitely won't disappoint ,Regards Phill,,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my High Up for 8weeks now, and find that sometimes it fails to change gear when at roundabouts I read that BEEVE had a software update on his car, is this fitted by dealer.
Brian

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Brian. I had a recall for an ECU software update and at the same time my dealer said there was also a software update for the ASG so he did that as well. Pop into your dealer and check with him. There is no charge for updates. Edited by: Beevee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts