Up Owners Club banner

hello from another newbie

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  ospreywatcher 
#1 ·
Just joined in. Changing from two cars to one as I am due to retire in March next year. I currently do 18,000 a year as I use my car for work - but hope to cut down to 10,000. Had a test drive yesterday of high-UP. Very impressed - so one is on order. Hope to get it in early November. Seems far roomier than our current Ford KAs. Loved the old KA - and enjoyed the newer models - but the front ball joints and brakes need replaced at very frequent intervals. I am IAM member and have done some training with police so I am not hard on my cars. Wife's car only done 17,000 and same suspension problems.
Looking forward to VW reputation for strongly built vehicles.

Whooppeee - that is money and insurance sorted - car on its way from Germany to the dealer - so 1st of November is THE day - how can an old man like me be so excited about a car?Edited by: ospreywatcher

#2 ·
Hello and welcome.I am sure that your "whoopee" will be even more when you take delivery.The Up is well built and a delight to drive.Fun...agile and comfortable, and economical.

As for age and excitement..Age is just a number....I get excited every morning when I find I'm still here

Go well.
Edited by: Night Owl

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Ospreywatcher.
I have the High UP! and also drive about 18,000 miles a year.

Very happy with the car and I am sure you will be
Edited by: Derkie54

#5 ·
I'm the same....my grand children are always saying..grow up Grandad...I just say.....Why?

On a more serious note...do read though this forum.A lot of people have contributed valuable information here...and I for one have learnt a lot.

Go well.

#6 ·
yes thanks - I am working my way through all the posts. Am a little bit of a techno-geek - I run two websites - one for my work - and a personal one for photography.
We are never too old to learn - as I said to hundreds of kids when I was in teaching. . .

#7 ·
ospreywatcher said:
We are never too old to learn - as I said to hundreds of kids when I was in teaching. . .
Too right. I hope many of your pupils will say in later years.....I had this great teacher...

The younger members of this Forum, I must admit, astound me with their knowledge and understanding of the current state of technology. To be honest...I am often baffled...Have to go and Google.... and often am no the wiser! I suppose it is their age...or your age....if you are young and still reading this.Keep it going Guys...we need it!

Go well.

#8 ·
You'll be pleased.

I waited so long I forgot about it! When it arrived I was very pleased....it's a lot more car than you expect and the electronic gadgetry is fantastic.

I too have police training and various track driving certificates....I drive like an old fart but I'm still in my 40s
Edited by: Scrubnut

#10 ·
I am one who was encouraged to get techno-literate. First generation of Scottish teachers who had to pass IT tests in word processing and Spreadsheets before I could qualify. Before I retired from teaching all teaching was done via electronic boards and I was adept at using spread-sheets for organising each year's new intake.
Since then have done 3 courses on Website development.
looking forward to meeting 'Maps and More'

#12 ·
My midget was a 'J' reg - chrome bumpers and 1275 engine. I think it was the last version before the 1500 with the wrap-round black bumpers.
I like tyo have cars I enjoy driving. Family loved our 2CV a good few years back. Hope the grandchildren like UpsiDaisy as it has already been called.

#15 ·
No it is not, I think it is normal for all of us whatever the age.I was thinking, if you go on Thursday evening behind the window of the shop where you are going to buy the car, you might see a glipse of it...now that was only a thought....but who knows, maybe...Please, let us see pictures of your car when you got it.

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

#17 ·
Hi there eelis - have been busy driving!

Lovely little thing to drive. 150 miles and still over 3/4 tank petrol.
I posted on gallery last night - but here is the link
http://revcorner.org.uk/?page_id=2032
Certainly a smooth drive- and not as noisy as some people have been making out. Lovely my Ford KA but this is a totally different quality of vehicle.
Lovely to find that one of the staff at my dealer is a former pupil of mine when was teaching. Fortunately one whom I liked and who liked me.

#18 ·
WOW!Nice looking up! you got there. Thanks for the link, the colours inside are fab, and I see your dealer is a teaser too.
As far I can see from the photos, you got Garmin version of the navigator, same as I did.
I think all new ones are. Well happy driving, and it was worth the wait, do you think?

-eelis-

#19 ·
I am loving it. Small it might be but it has a big grown up car feel to it. And to my surprise in the two days we have been driving it we have not seen another one on the open road.Glad we opted for mud-flaps as we have been driving through very heavy rain and the back screen was not particularly dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.