Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There, I am looking to buy UP and found one at a local used car dealer ( Move UP ). The car is 2013 with 91K mileage. As per dealer, It comes with full service history and is a single owner car. Asking price is 3100. I will be going to view the car tomorrow.

Any advice on what to look for and also the price, Is it fair price or do I need to negotiate?

Is it worth buying a car with such high mileage? I myself will be doing around 3 - 4K a year until unless there is a Job change.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My initial thought, way too expensive for the age and mileage. At least 1K overpriced, but dealers do like to try it on!!!
Have a right good look online for other VW UP cars for sale, do your research first.
Go to www.webuyanycar.com and put the car details in. Get an idea of trade price.
Edit. I just have had a look online. Also at WBAC, and this car seems to be not too overpriced, if it is as described. Crazy money for a car this age and mileage.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Way overpriced , my local VW dealer has low mileage ones for only a wee bit more!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Do a search on the VW franchised dealer site...they have cars with half the mileage and a warranty for 4K upwards....remember, buying a VW dealer will get you a couple of free services and you can usually chip their price by a few hundred.......my dealer is in Scotland so not very local to you

·
Registered
131 Posts
These cars are still popular at this age and even this mileage therefore prices stay firm.

As with buying any used car check the service history, tyres and general condition. Take friend if you can as a second pair of eyes really helps.

Has the cam belt been changed? Does it look like it has been cared for or neglected? Mentally deduct anything that will need doing off the asking price. Is the seller offering any warranty?

If you are still interested take it for a decent test drive on roads similar to the ones you will be driving on. Pay particular attention to the gearbox which can be problematic on early ups. Check it shifts smoothly and gets into 1st and reverse everytime. Check that everything mechanical or electrical works. Is the air con cold?

Front wings can have rust problems with damp from the wheel arch liners causing problems. Check there are no damp patches in the boot or footwells as seals can perish with age.

Never buy the first car you see. It's worth seeing/driving a few to get a feel for how they drive and get a better idea of what you are looking for.

As others have said the seller will have bought or acquired this car (as Px) at trade prices so know your trade prices. The asking price less trade price is the sellers profit or margin. You then know the seller is trying for a profit of say £600 and through haggling this is what you need to chip away at. Start low and don't be afraid to walk away.

I think you should be able to get something slightly newer/lower mileage on for this budget! Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Percy247 , Thanks for the advice. I went to see the car today and here is what I feel.

It's a single owner car ( lady owner ) from up north.

Bodywork - Good, Apart from the chips on door corners it's clean.

Driving - There is no unusual noise, Driving was smooth and gear change was good. In fact, I was impressed as I am looking to buy a small city car and tried few 107and C1's before. They all were noisy and gear change was not as smooth. I will say UP is definitely better quality and smoother.

Service history - There is one, First few are from the main dealer and rest from the local garage ( local garage ones might not be genuine but there is no way to prove otherwise ). It's all stamps and signs in the service book and no receipts.

Cambelt - Dealer will be getting the cambelt changed when I pointed out, Including service and MOT. I haven't paid any deposit and agreed that all the work will be done in front of me when I go and collect the car (early next week). This is all on asking price of 3100.

There is only one unusual thing I noticed. When you lock the car from inside, you can still open the doors from inside, they are only locked from the outside. Which means kids will still be able to open the door from inside which is not safe. The only workaround is to apply the manual child lock indoor but then it's kind of semi-permanent. In my current car (Toyota), I just lock the car while driving and kids can't operate the door and windows. However, I can then unlock to let them get out. Is that a normal design for UP?

I am thinking that as its a high mileage car, it might have been used for long journeys ( Motorway ? ) so gear and clutch might be in fair to good condition, I did driving in all gears and changed them quite a bit, there were no issues. The only thing I do not remember is the bitting point, I just forgot to notice it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello There, I am looking to buy UP and found one at a local used car dealer ( Move UP ). The car is 2013 with 91K mileage. As per dealer, It comes with full service history and is a single owner car. Asking price is 3100. I will be going to view the car tomorrow.

Any advice on what to look for and also the price, Is it fair price or do I need to negotiate?

Is it worth buying a car with such high mileage? I myself will be doing around 3 - 4K a year until unless there is a Job change.
[/QUOTE
The Up is fairly resillient to corrosion. However check inside your petrol cover flap.... any corosion there will tell you that corosion is elsewhere.
Steve Reay.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds reasonably ok, but it's still a high mileage Up, and too much money, even with the cambelt & MOT etc thrown in. There are hundreds of Ups around which are younger and much better value.
Only my two pennyworth, but if I were you I'd have a look at a lot more cars, and get one with half the mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts