Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I'm in urgent need of car and going to test drive Up tomorrow. If it's as good as everybody is saying i might get one.

Seller
has two cars in stock that can be received almost instantly. A Move Up
44 kW and White Up 55 kW. White up is helluva a lot more expensive,
especially here in Finland because we have nasty car taxes :(

Anyone being in same situation earlier, how did you solve it?

First i have to say that navigation thingy is cool but i do have Nokia Lumia 920 which has very good navigation features and maps will always be up to date for free. And they update by itself. I found out that on "Maps & More" thingy you actually need to pay extra to have maps up to date. That is kind of lame! And also there is extra hassle when updating them. I'm afraid what would happen is that i continue to navigate with my phone like earlier. Are there any other good reasons to have this thing onboard other than navigation?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Kimble said:
Are there any other good reasons to have this thing onboard other than navigation?
Nothing that one can't live without, IMO.

Well, you get the Blue Motion trainer to help you use less fuel.
If you already care a bit about your fuel consumption, you probably don't need it anyway.

M&M can connect to your phone and send the sound + music from your phone over the car radio. It can also use an SD card with music.
But there's an AUX on the radio as well.

I wouldn't let the M&M decide wether to buy one or the other ...

The White up! has light alloy wheels + the better tyres, whereas the Move is usually on mediocre 14" tyres.
The up really needs decent tyres to drive as well as it can - I'd suggest a decent brand and 185 15" or better .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply! The gap in price is pretty significant. over 2000 EUR. Just received the offer for Move up. It's currently missing cruise control but the seller is going to figure out if it can be added. Need to call insurance company but maybe there likely is some difference in insurance cost as well.

The tyres are indeed one issue i've been thinking about too. If i end up with Move up i think i have to get the 15" for it. But i'm not sure if they can be changed at this point since the car is already there.

The price listing has "alloy wheels Waffle 5½J x 15 Tyres 185/55 R15. That would probably do the trick? They cost 540 EUR. BUT after that (and possible extra cost from cruise control) the gap to White Up is decreasing...i dunno, kind of feel like i should just get White Up or i might regret it later? It also has darkened windows out of the box, i would need to get also that separately to Move Up and it's another 100-200 EUR more to lower the gap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've also had to make a similar choice. I went with White Up because (at least here in Croatia) lower end models that were on sale at the time didn't have ESP, laser anti-crash thingy, parking sensors and fog lights.

M&M is fun, but you are correct that it's not crucial; actually I prefer to use my mobile phone for navigation.
Also engine power is reported not to make a huge difference in practice.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Kimble said:
It's currently missing cruise control but the seller is going to figure out if it can be added.
It can be added.

VAG Techniek in the Netherlands have done so before.
They want 325 euro for it, to give you an idea.
You'll find a thread about it on www.vwupforum.nl - try cruise control inbouwen

The price listing has "alloy wheels Waffle 5½J x 15 Tyres 185/55 R15. That would probably do the trick? They cost 540 EUR.
I'm not very fond of the Waffle's design, nor could I be certain what tyres I'd get with them, so I didn't get them for mine.

Your taste may be different though.

There are many aftermarket options for wheels anyway, often cheaper than what VW wants for them.

The price you gave is likely an upgrade price, meaning you'd get Waffles instead of steel wheels when ordering a new car. If so, the price to buy these as an extra would be higher.

BUT after that (and possible extra cost from cruise control) the gap to White Up is decreasing...
With wheels and CC added , it's decreasing to around 1150 , and only 1000 with the windows tinted.

Actually, the better equipped versions are often a better deal than adding options to a lower trim version.
You only need to have the money ready for the higher price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
_1S_ said:
VAG Techniek in the Netherlands have done so before.
They want 325 euro for it, to give you an idea.
You'll find a thread about it on www.vwupforum.nl - try cruise control inbouwen
Ok, kind of expensive for just that. And probably thanks to nasty taxes in Finland it's worse around here.

There are many aftermarket options for wheels anyway, often cheaper than what VW wants for them.

The price you gave is likely an upgrade price, meaning you'd get Waffles instead of steel wheels when ordering a new car. If so, the price to buy these as an extra would be higher.
Yes i have always got nice 3rd party ones to all previous cars for cheaper. But there is some hassle...

Actually, the better equipped versions are often a better deal than adding options to a lower trim version.
You only need to have the money ready for the higher price.
Yes, it's going to be White Up even though M&M is kind of unnecessery for me. I just found out that for some odd reason insurance would be more expensive with Move Up dispite less power and being cheaper car.
And because insurance costs are huge around here it's big deal and eats up that gap even more.

So now this seems pretty much no brainer at this point. Thanks for helping out here!
I hope i like the car when i give it shot.

Edit: In think this feature is going to work with my Nokia Lumia 920, so that's a little nice detail i appreciate. Text messages while driving have always been a pain. http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/text-message-on-mm_topic3800.html

Edited by: Kimble

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on your choice :)

I chose the M&M simply because I wanted to listen to my music/podcasts on my phone via car stereo... The other stuff is tbh a handy bonus :)

Out of curisoity how high is the new car tax in Finland?

Do you get discounts on the tax based on how economical it is??

As you may know, here in Denmark the price of a new car is inflated by 182% (Full rate) that goes straight to the government, but because the UP is so economical I paid a little under half that... And we also get discount based on its safety features...

Edited by: Lee in Denmark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope i like the car when i give it shot.
Ok, so
i went test drive one today. It was 55 kW Move Up. It's exactly as
everybody been saying in comments and reviews. From outside when you
look at it, it appears to be a small car. But when you sit to drivers
seat there is plenty of room all over! It didn't feel really much smaller from the
inside than out other car Jetta 2011. Kind of unbelievable actually. Well, if you look back then it looks small but on driving position it's very roomy. I liked it!

Also
liked how it felt to drive, cannot imagine this size of the car can run
much better? It feels like Polo, not far from Golf actually. Really
good and fun to drive. There is more than enough power to get moving and
it probably only gets better after some mileage. After a test drive i
purchased White Up. It was in stock so i receive it already next week. Looking forward for that.

Lee in Denmark said:
Out of curisoity how high is the new car tax in Finland?

Do you get discounts on the tax based on how economical it is??

As
you may know, here in Denmark the price of a new car is inflated by
182% (Full rate) that goes straight to the government, but because the
UP is so economical I paid a little under half that... And we also get
discount based on its safety features...
The tax
situation in Finland is horrible. Car owners need to pay taxes after
taxes in every turn. Firstable there is VAT 24% In addition to that
there is very high "car tax" Few years ago there was some fine tuning to
that ammount and it's tied to CO2 emission. In case of my car, the car
tax part was "only" 2549,27 EUR. You can see yourself how it goes behind
this link: http://www.volkswagen.fi/vv-auto/vw_cars.nsf/%28vw5_h%29?open&m=121 (Car tax part is column Arvioitu auto-vero )

And for reference, check out Phaeton. Car tax part is almos 40k LOL http://www.volkswagen.fi/vv-auto/vw_cars.nsf/%28vw5_h%29?open&m=3D1

After that there is also small yearly "car usage tax" which is also now tied up to CO2 emission. This is kind of good develompment but it's just nonsense that price difference get very huge within EU. Another thing is that all of the billions of EUR collected from car owners are not totally put to support road networks, repairing bridges etc. but some other stuff that has nothing to do using a car.

So how much the new White Up would cost in Denmark?

Edited by: Kimble

1 - 8 of 8 Posts