Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’ve just become the owner of a new Up! GTI which I’ll be picking up in a week or so.

I’ve been driving quite a few powerful cars lately (400bhp+) and I’m looking forward to running something I can put my foot down in without fearing a jail sentence!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Welcome ! Be sure to post photos when you take delivery of it !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi Mole
Welcome to the forum
Yes, much more fun 'driving the doors off' something with 115bhp, rather than feathering a 400bhp monster. You should be getting high 50's GPM (grins per mile) :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes ! Exactly like mine !
Congratulations.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There’s a lot to be said for ‘accessible performance’. I’m all for an eco-trade off between emissions/fun by reducing size and weight but retaining some power to keep things interesting. There are too many cars made eco-boring out there.

Previously I’ve owned 5 Caterhams (don’t ask!) and have always described them as quick but not fast. Quick to accelerate, quick to decelerate, quick to change direction. Although not quite in the same league or class the up! GTI has quite a bit of that going on with real world practicality, the trade off between the two being the up! is 400kg heavier but has a roof, abs and airbags.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I chopped in my Focus ST3 for the GTI as wanted that Go Kart experience again like I had in my Lupo GTI. Bit of a pain transporting my bike inside the car (Eventually will sort out a Roof Rack) but so much fun especially running V Power or BP momentum

Reactions: spook

·
Registered
51 Posts
so much fun especially running V Power or BP momentum
I have it on good authority they are both good fuels better than the Tesco super dooper stuff which has considerably higher coke build up than them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, so it looks like I’ll be taking delivery on a day to be agreed next week. My personal plate is also now being put on the car by the garage to save me the hassle afterwards.

I can’t remember getting this hyped up about taking on a new car since my old S1 111s Elise!

Edit to add: Any tips on how long / best way to approach the running in process? On the BMW 340i this was literally 100 miles of varying speed before being told to nail it and have fun! 😂

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just like being Six years old at Christmas time again ? Well not quite but 👍

Other forum posters correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the car has a built in running in period like some others nowadays so will restrict its performance for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just like being Six years old at Christmas time again ? Well not quite but 👍

Other forum posters correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the car has a built in running in period like some others nowadays so will restrict its performance for the first 1000 miles.
Aaargh! That’s gonna be a frustrating 1000 miles if so! 😂

·
Registered
51 Posts
Think I’ve heard it in at least one of the YouTube vids, I’ve watched so many of late it’s hard to remember which of them, certainly one of the Volkswizard ones but he’s done so many on the GTi both his own and the press fleet/dealer ones.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Judging by the vids it didn’t restrict that much and was still good but got better after 1k, of course there is a difference between a press car and your own car as you can/can’t drive it like you stole it :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Only one rule, don't tickle around, or you'll end up with glazed bores & high oil consumption.. The best treatment is (whenever you can), to take long pulls from low revs to about 4000rpm, particulary in 2nd & third gear, this helps bed piston rings in, do that for the first 600 miles or so, then same up to 1000 miles, but up to 5000rpm.
That's how I ran mine in, with the occasional blurt over those figures. It's now done 11000 miles, and has used no oil over the past year.

Reactions: The_ASH
1 - 20 of 30 Posts