Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm glad I found this place :)

I'm test driving an up on Tuesday and will hopefully be ordering a high up with the 75 blue motion engine.

So many questions at this point.

I'm basing this purchase on actually saving money on how much my fuel costs on a 1999 1.7 ford puma which seems to cost me a fortune in fuel to run.

I'm hoping people are getting good MPG?

How much roughly is it costing to fill up a tank and how many miles do you get?

I'll be using it for work and a family car, we are used to the small car for our family and this actually feels bigger

Also the car looks kinda cool :)

I'm thinking red with red dashboard and the spoiler for looks :)

Anyway, hello from me and feel free to talk me in to or out of my purchase :)

John

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hello there and welcome. You'll love the Up, it is a very economical, cheap to run car that feels premium. We have a Take Up as my wife's car, we regularly get 50mpg in everyday use and without trying so you will save a fortune over the Puma and have just as much funding so. I love ours that much I'm getting a High Up as the main car to replace a Focus. Red looks really good. I'm getting a light blue one, but I keep looking at red ones and wondering if I have made the right decision.

·
Registered
532 Posts
many people have strong views about the options, particularly thespare wheel and the sound option.

I went for the silly bitsa and most are useful.

I would have gone red, but I was vetoed by daughter. I've gone night blue.

I've not done economy checks, but it's reasonable. There are lots of aids to diving smoothly and economically. there's a gear chaneg indicator and theMand M has a cool option.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking forward to it!

I think I'm getting the spoiler, sound pack, red dash and spare wheel as options as it has most of the other stuff I want as standard on the high-up

any other essentials?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey the up! Has a 35 litre fuel tank and when my fuel light comes on and I fill up I put around 30litres in at 130.9p a litre its just under £40 and I have been getting between 340 and 380 miles on a tank I'm hoping that will go up when nicer weather comes because I have heated seats and the heating on full all the time lol. Idrive a high up asg so could be a little different to the manual bmt version!

What your ordering sounds great! I wish I went for red after seeing one the other day but I'm very happy with mine!!

As you stated in your earlier post defo go for the sound pack and spare wheel! The mud flaps are useful, although £55 for front and £55 for rear it's a bit expensive they are available on ebay for a lot cheaper! You might consider cil guards aswell but again on ebay is that 3m see through guard tape can be used I'm going to order some soon for the rear bumper just under my boot to stop any scratches or scuffs off bags and things loading the boot!

Hope thats helped a little

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Useful info on the tank cost thanks

Just looking at the white and black special editions, **** that chrome styling and tinted windows etc look good. Plus the up stitching on the seats!

Certainly does bang up the price though. I cant help wonder how much better the sports suspension is?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm not sure about the suspension but lots of people on here are lowering theres! I like the special editions chrome aswell especially the chrome wing mirror caps, I keep meaning to call at my dealers to see if they will order me some!

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are going for the BMT version, I understand it is 10mm lower than the standard suspension and may be the same as the sports suspension anyway. Having said that I have not been able to find anything in the handbook to confirm this - and my dealer doesn't know either.
As a high miler I have been getting 51mpg overall out of the same spec car you are looking at. You could get more, but it makes driving the up! very boring! Many people on the forum quote hyper economy, but you can't rely on the M&M as it overstates the economy by about 10%. Brim-to-brim the up! is good for about 390 miles at a cost of £44 - I regularly get 34 litres in a fill-up so the gauge is pretty accurate.
I'm in the 'no spare' camp - I don't see the point of carrying the extra weight round all the time and having to crawl around in the wet/dark to change a wheel - and the wheel is only a 14" steel that doesn't match the rest (on a High up!) anyway. I think the cannister and electric pump provided as standard is the better solution - my last car had the same set-up and no room for a spare wheel. I've had less than 10 punctures in 1,000,000 (yes 1m) miles of motoring!
I didn't go for the sensor pack as I felt it repeats many of the functions available on the M&M - also I didn't feel the reversing sensors were necessary on such a small car (and don't miss them). I was also conscious that adding too many options started to make the up! quite pricey.
The one option I'm really pleased I went for is the sound pack - I have the radio/stereo on all the time and with this pack the up! set-up is far better than the BMW 1-series I had before. It really adds to the big car feel of the up!
I hope this feed-back helps - they are obviously only my views but they are based on 7,000 miles of motoring in just over 3 months.Edited by: Upmeister

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point, i normally only ever notice a slow puncture at home anyway and call a tyre guy to come and replace.

Whats the canister you refer to?

Mileage sounds good to me, pretty sure i get less than 28mpg at the moment :O

·
Registered
851 Posts
A canister isn't going to help if you shred your tire which can happen either instantly or while you're slowing to stop.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For £50 its better to have one! When you come to sell the car you can then sell the spare on ebay for £50 so your not out of pocket lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
i've bmw with run flats that I have changed to proper tyres. I rely on a canister.

Using the stupid logic i bought a spare for the up.

No logic, but no problems yet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very sensible - never, ever be without a proper spare.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another good point

If i have 15inch alloys and the spare is 14inch will that still work? i.e. the rim size might be different but with the tyre it will be the same to get me where I am going?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Should be fine as the 15" alloys (like my Up on order) have lower profile tyres than the stock 14" ones, so the overall diameter will be the same.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm firmly in the no spare camp. I have been driving for more years than I care to admit and genuinely can't remember the last time I changed a wheel.Last time I had a slow puncture, the garage condemned it anyway so a spare wouldn't have saved me anything. I don't feel like paying £50 to carry extra weight around.
Watch me get a puncture now!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Exactly what happened to me - no punctures for over 30 years then.......wham ....4 in a space of 6 months - incredible but true. No way would I be without a spare now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's my kinda luck. I'm just starting to regret not ordering one now.........

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't understand why people agonise over the spare considering it's only £50. Now a £350 agonisation for an options pack I get.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My sentiments exactly AlanG.

VWs £50 is the cheapest spare/jack/tool kit option I have ever had to pay on a new car - even for my wife's Aygo it was £75, and I thought that was cheap. Considering that if you had to pay for these individually I reckon; £40 for tyre, £35 for rim, £25 for jack tools etc.

However, I do think that these items should be included in the first place, and have the choice of a no cost "delete" option if you want the extra boot space.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts