Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, might be buying an up soon... alternative is a fiesta with the new 1.0 ecoboost engine but I just dont really need something longer or bigger than a city car so the up is probably worth a drive, and cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have never had anything else but VWs all my live (32 years licence) ...

I have enough money for a Golf or even higher ...
I decided to buy an up! because it has DESIGN (and a built in navi) ...

I don't think that the 2014 Golf will ever become a famous car. The up! 2012-15 surely will.

I don't drive a small, handy, well equipped city car - I drive up! ...

I have helped guitar players to find their new guitar for a long time now.
I always say: Let your heart choose and not your brain. Say no if your heart's decision is absolutely nuts - but otherwise you heart must lead the way ...

·
Registered
851 Posts
I test drove the ecoboost Fiesta too. I think it was the 100bhp version rather than the 125. Although it's a perfectly worthy car, it just didn't excite me. Why the up makes you smile, i haven't worked out - it just does! I guess the car was just spot on from conception just like the original Focus. And just like the Focus i expect the next up will be twice the size, four times the weight and eight times uglier. But while the up is version 1 it's brilliant!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd probably go out in the 125 ecoboost as still zero tax and I guess fairly nippy.

If I was younger the devil in me would make me go out in the ST as well which by all accounts is amazing...but being more practical these days something less powerful and cheaper to buy/run like the up (especially as I only do about 5000 a year, mostly town too) is going to be the smarter option!Edited by: kathyp

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from the boys and girls ,,
definitely go for the up you will not be disappointed ,
The up is a different drive than the fiesta ,it's funky it's big inside loads of leg room in the front and back ,
The height is better, and I would think you won't loose as much money on the up ,but it's your money
And your choice, so good luck what ever you decide to buy ,Regards ,Phill,,

·
Registered
149 Posts
upgirlglos said:
hi, might be buying an up soon... alternative is a fiesta with the new 1.0 ecoboost engine but I just dont really need something longer or bigger than a city car so the up is probably worth a drive, and cheaper too.
Welcome to the forum. Take a test drive in the up! and you'll be astounded that a city car can drive so well. You'll be smitten. When we bought our Mii, I knew from the moment I got into second gear on the test drive that I was buying it that day. And I did. (From your neck of the woods in Gloucester, oddly enough).

Are you looking for new or used?

If buying new, don't forget to specify a spare wheel. It's £50 at the time of ordering the new car, or £150 if bought as an afterthought.

·
Registered
296 Posts
also considered the Fiesta, but felt the ecoboost was very expensive for what you get. Went for a High Up instead and not disappointed. We did have Ford KAs each before sharing the UP. Drives well - feels quite roomy for a small car. 3 door version has huge doors. Big boot for a small car - and a proper spare wheel. Some folks find the UP a bit noisy but we run it on Shell V power nitro fuel which seems to make it quieter - and generally pays for the extra cost at the pump with better fuel economy. You can drive the Up like a sedate granny or use the power above 3000 rpm and and zoom roun d the bends. Whatever you decide enjoy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all, actually went out in a fiesta ecoboost this morning (and an ST 'while i was there' was my excuse) but although it was very competent and handled very well it does seem a bit overpriced even with the big discounts it would be couple of thousand over a well specced high up and nope it didnt feel special in any way.

ST was a fun blast though

hope to get out in an Up in the next few days

Edited by: upgirlglos

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timii said:
upgirlglos said:
If buying new, don't forget to specify a spare wheel. It's £50 at the time of ordering the new car, or £150 if bought as an afterthought.

Think the High Up comes with full size spare as standard, according to brochure anyway...which is good

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had 2 of the current shape fiesta's before the up. I much prefer the up as it better put togther. The only thing I miss is the heated windscreen in the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mogwai said:
I had 2 of the current shape fiesta's before the up. I much prefer the up as it better put togther. The only thing I miss is the heated windscreen in the winter.

thats good to know you prefer the up, I think only thing I might miss is steering wheel controls for music have grown used to them over the past few years and wonder if its fiddly to reach to the maps and more thing and change music folders etc.

Edited by: kathyp

·
Registered
851 Posts
It is a bit fiddly moving through M&M music folders and you have to be careful not to take your eye off the road. But all in all, M&M is fabulous for music on a micro SD card and it will display your album art too. Don't forget that the 6 speaker sound pack is standard on the high up. Also, the spare wheel is standard now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AlanG said:
It is a bit fiddly moving through M&M music folders and you have to be careful not to take your eye off the road. But all in all, M&M is fabulous for music on a micro SD card and it will display your album art too. Don't forget that the 6 speaker sound pack is standard on the high up. Also, the spare wheel is standard now.

Thanks, I noticed these are standard now. Is the sound quality any good though? I know that's subjective, but you know what I mean. One of the things that put me off the new i10 was the goddawful tinny stereo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that the High UP comes with a DAB radio as standard? or am I going to have to quickly get in touch with my dealer to get it added to my build list...

Sorry for the thread hijack upgirlglos

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, no its fine - I noticed VW have changed a few things in the spec levels very recently (ok, and the price has crept up too though!) I only noticed because I originally looked at an up a couple of months ago and saw the changes when I was going through it again earlier this week.

DAB is now definitely standard on a High Up - if you go to their configurator and look at 'whats standard' near the end of it ' DAB Digital Radio Receiver' is there.

So maybe when you ordered yours it wasn't standard, but then again you may have got the cheaper price?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks, yeah i noticed that bit on the left side in the 'whats standard' section too. I just placed my order for my High UP last Friday, but was just wanting to get a second confirmation so to speak that it would come with DAB so as to kinda give myself peace of mind so to speak
(one less thing to worry about)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
FACT st fiesta is a blast but, running costs will be 3x the up!

UP!...esp the high spec ones are really 'big car feel' in a compact package....you will love a high up to bits!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Privatedoc said:
FACT st fiesta is a blast but, running costs will be 3x the up!

UP!...esp the high spec ones are really 'big car feel' in a compact package....you will love a high up to bits!

Thanks...and as well as that, the purchase price difference alone to an ST (even with fords big discounts) would pay for ALL of the running costs of an Up for a couple of years at least! It was that as much as anything that made me realise this is probably the smartest solution for me!

Will try and have a test drive tomorrow or Friday at latest

1 - 20 of 30 Posts