Up Owners Club banner

Hello! Very Low Mileage Car Query

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  thirteen-o-two 
#1 ·
Hi

I've just joined the forum as we have an interest in buying a used Seat Mii (not currently represented on Seat user forums strangely) and I'd value some guidance from the Up community.

The car we have seen appears pristine and has very low milage - just over 3000 in 18 months. Interestingly however, an HPI check reveals that in the last 9 months it has travelled a grand total of 44 miles""¦

Seemed a little odd so I questioned the (VW) dealer who advises the car is an ex-Motorbility Scheme vehicle and sadly the owner became incapacitated (or has possibly died) prior to the end of the lease term. This seems a reasonable explanation of the mileage to me.

My concern is the complete absence of use in recent months. I read horror stories online of very low mileage and essentially dormant cars falling to bits when they are returned to life.

Unfortunately, we are not mechanically minded. The car will receive a mechanical check before it leaves the dealership, but I cannot deny an element of apprehension given what I've read.

Does this car represent an enhanced risk - or can we take solace from the fact it retains 18 months warranty?I'd really value some guidance.

Many thanks in advance for any helpyoucan give.

PT

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't let the low mileage cause them to ask for a high price, the car is still 18 months old and with discounts, probably not a very expensive item anyway

have you considered a NEW or PRE-REG vehicle instead....costs may be surprisingly similar and give you the 3 yr warranty (and ability to buy the cheap service package)

how much is the 18month old one and what spec is it?

#3 ·
Thanks.

The car is a 3dr SE (mid-specified) and they want £6800 for it - sorry, should have thought to include this info. This compares very favourably against other cars with much higher mileages - and a bit of digging around uncovers they have already dropped the price by around £800.

I think this is part of the apprehension - am concerned that I might be buying into a potential lemon that others more mechanically savvy than I have already dismissed.

#4 ·
I'd push for the warranty extension by 1 year and ask them for an oil change/service too as it seems the car has been sitting for some time and probably missed the 1 year interval service

Or start pushing local dealers for a new car....use drivethedeal website etc to get some comparison prices

#5 ·
Priveatdoc when you buy a pre reg , it is classed as a used vehicle ,and you don't have the option of buying the three year service .also if I were the gentleman regarding the mobility car ,me personley would pay the extra and buy new ,considering the price of the car in question ,you can buy the basic two door up brand new for the sum of £8295 on the road ,if it is basic he wants I no what I would do ,it depends on what you can afford ,kind regards phill

#6 ·
Phil, agree 100%. The advantages are great for a little bit more!

#8 ·
Keep us posted re what you decide, this forum welcomes citigo and mii owners too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.