Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm Matt from Doncaster and a slightly confused newbie...

I need a smaller car with lower running costs than my current Seat Leon TDI sport (£100 a week all in) so have set my mind on a Mii / Citigo / Up, question is which.

I like the look of the Mii but the Citigo has my ideal spec, the Up is more expensive for the same spec and I do prefer the Mii's 'face' but I had big problems with the local Seat dealer buying the Leon. The large motor group with 1 in the name will never see another penny from me.

Anyhow, do I really need the 75ps engine and is it just mapping changes between the 60 and 75?
Either will take some getting used to after the pure lazy grunt of the 140 TDI but if I have a fatter wallet and it's still fun I will be happy.

I'm off for a browse, will also probably call into the VW dealer tomorrow to have a better look at the Up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would certainly take a look at all three before you purchase...

I chose the UP, because I liked the look better... I will admit I only looked at the CitiGo and UP at the time, as I didn't know the MII was the same car, and I didn't even consider looking at a SEAT...

I liked the interior and the different parts of the exterior of the UP alot better than the Citigo, and here in Denmark I would have saved maybe £1000 by choosing the CitiGo, but I wouldn't have been as pleased hence the UP was my choice... I also like the glass boot better, even though its abit of a bugger to keep clean at times...

As for the engine, I am NO expert in this front, but I went to 3 different dealers, and they all said that the 75hp is not worth the extra money, as you don't get enough out of it for the extra money...

My 60hp copes with the motorway very well, and I have no problems driving down to germany and back...

I have been told that it is only the mapping that is different, its the same engine... But the engine experts will be able to help you better there :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the up looks better than the mii or citigo. I'm a high up. I did consider the mii but there's not much in terms of local dealers and they sell multiple brands of cars, with VW I have 2 large dealers within easy drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VW and Skoda dealers are on the same site here (about 4 miles from home) and the next Seat is 17 miles, so not out of the way really.

I will have a much better look at the UP, the spec I mentioned was the 75 engine with the Blue motion equivalent, just fancied the idea of free road tax really

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Matt and a warm welcome to you.We chose the Up! against the Mii and Citigo because of the better build quality. We also test drove other makes of smaller cars....but none of them compered to the Up! Yes they are a bit more expensive...but IMHO well worth it! We have the 60 ps Up! and it is just fine. Great fun to drive.We down sized from a much more powerful car...but the Up! is a lot more fun to drive.

Go well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I considered the blue motion engine but the tax on it is minimal, would takes years to re-coup and the extra mpg too as I only live 4 miles from work so didn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Goldfive said:
I think the up looks better than the mii or citigo. I'm a high up. I did consider the mii but there's not much in terms of local dealers and they sell multiple brands of cars, with VW I have 2 large dealers within easy drive.
I also think the Up! is better looking! 3 or 5 door is a personal choice, some of us need 5 doors and others do not, but they both look better to my mind than the other choices.

Go well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I chose an Up! because the VW dealer is 5 minutes down the road (although they were not the supplying dealer) and very convenient for servicing when compared to the alternatives. We shall have to wait and see but if you compare the residuals between the brands, you may find that VW hold their value more. In the end tough, I doubt it matters much and it comes down to personal taste - naturally, if you ask people, they are bound to have a preference for whatever they chose.

Nick

·
Registered
397 Posts
There were things I prefered about the CityGo over the up! and things about the up! over the CityGo. VW residuals better? Deciding factors were VW offered me more in p/x for the Nissan Qashqai and VW are just up the road. Skoda are 12 mile away.
Last week, car developed a high pitched squeal from o/s/f wheel. Took it straight to dealer,it was 8am. Mechanic came straight out for a listen (THAT is Customer Service!) Diagnosed a stone from resurfacing work in nearby road. Reversed the car; stone dropped out - noise gone.
As others have said, many items are subjective/personal preferences - what's right for YOU!
Anyway, it's a car I'm VERY pleased with (and my wife like it too)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the warm welcome, I did pop into VW today and just sort of gravitated to the high up with leather look interior, I know i was smiling like a teenager on a promise but the salesmen were busy packing up for the day...One did say that I must test drive one and to pop back in the week to arrange it, other than that I was left alone to have a good nose round it with no pressure at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts