Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2016 3 door VW Up! for 2 years now even though i only joined the forum today. I'm running 16 inch Suzuki EOM Enkei rims that i'm planning to sell for something better, preferably 15 inch rims with the car lowered:p.

I also recently caught a bargain at an auction, 2016 Volvo xc90 roof bars with an urban loader box. I couldn't offload the bars so i went about making them fit the car. Put them on the car and realised it was a close fit but sure enough they could sit on the roof, now to just hold them down. Visited the Thule shop and the guys told me they only worked on Thule systems and couldn't help me so i just bought the Up! adaptor kit and set about my project. A grinder, some other tools and a day later i had them fitted :).

Registered
Great to see a roof box fitted, how much does it take, help with max load ? (any wind noise)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Great to see a roof box fitted, how much does it take, help with max load ? (any wind noise)
The box has a 40kg max load, it weighs a mere 15kg itself. VW i think has put a 50kg limit on the roof, both racks and whatever else is up there.
There's a bit of wind noise with the sunroof open but almost none when it's closed, these bars are super silent even at the max roof box limit of 130km/h.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I do a 5 minute drive to work averaging 60km/h so for day to day driving i see no difference at all. Ill often however do about 200km on a weekend drive averaging 110km/h, then i notice about a 5-10% increase in consumption. I carry a mobile braai(bbq) unit and a camping chair in there for when the mood strikes, it鈥檚 mostly just for looks though.

Registered
I do a 5 minute drive to work averaging 60km/h so for day to day driving i see no difference at all. Ill often however do about 200km on a weekend drive averaging 110km/h, then i notice about a 5-10% increase in consumption. I carry a mobile braai(bbq) unit and a camping chair in there for when the mood strikes, it鈥檚 mostly just for looks though.
I like the look! well done

Registered
Who would have thought we'd all love a roof box ! The Guardian newspaper motoring correspondent had a long term Tsi coming out of a large SUV so needed a roof box for longer trips (+wife and 2 nippers) . He also raved about it , saying that with this one option why would you ever need a bigger car 馃憤馃憤馃槒

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Who would have thought we'd all love a roof box ! The Guardian newspaper motoring correspondent had a long term Tsi coming out of a large SUV so needed a roof box for longer trips (+wife and 2 nippers) . He also raved about it , saying that with this one option why would you ever need a bigger car 馃憤馃憤馃槒
The idea for me was initially to put it up whenever i needed it, it鈥檚 now a permanent fixture since it鈥檚 so effortless to move around with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts