Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my 5-door up! white. Unfortunately it has only been made with front speakers

I've taken a rear door panel off and running wires for speakers (the doors are drilled ready for 6.5" speakers) looks easy. However, there is a wiring connector that is set in the car body that wiring to the door (through the rubber grommet) has to connect through; presumably for an improved seal.

Has anyone seen these connectors and/or do you know what wire connectors I need?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope; had to run wiring over the top of the existing connector. But it's simply not worth bothering, unless you regularly have passengers in the back. From the front seat the rear speakers make no difference to the sound. Just fit good quality speakers in the front.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Jalna said:
... From the front seat the rear speakers make no difference to the sound. Just fit good quality speakers in the front.
I adjusted the "FAD" fader on the radio a bit towards the back ...
So, I get more "punch" (low mids) and room feeling in the front (by more signal from the back).
I normally have no one in the back of my car - so, the sound is adjusted for the two front seats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With higher quality speakers in the front I get more punch from the front speakers and the sound fills the car anyway, especially with tweeters at the front. No amount of fade adjustment improves the sound quality with the Hertz speakers I've installed. I used Hertz DCX165 in the rear doors.

Whilst it's nice for passengers to have the sound in the back, it just isn't worth the hassle of fitting rear speakers in the 5 door up! because of the wiring issues through the doors. Such a shame VW didn't standardise and have the wiring prep in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts