Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just collected my automatic up! - just a bit confused. The gear stick options are different to my old peugeot. As it doesn't have park the guy at the garage told me to put it in neutral when turning off, but I've just read in the manual you are supposed to put it into D or R. But it seems pretty stupid to leave the car in drive or reverse when stopping the engine. Help?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Go and get your dealer to explain how it works. If they don't, just follow their instructions anyway.

You should get your instructions from the dealer principal. Take your manual in with you. Write down what he/she says.

If there is still conflict I will be surprised.
Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You need to remember you have an automated manual gearbox as opposed to a fully automatic gearbox. If you park in drive or reverse it is the same as parking a manual car in gear. I always park in neutral with the handbreak on which is what you would do with a manual gearbox. If you were parked on a steep incline you might leave the car in gear for added security.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Im in same boat as you when I stop Ill tell you what it is

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've changed my view. You are completely right. They have no idea. I have checked my up manual and as you say it suggests on page 133 that you should select D or R. Amazingly the citigo manual suggest N for flat roads and handbrake and N on a hill.

On the basis of this I would suggest you make it up as you go along.

On a technical point I would suggest, but I don't know, the following. It's a manual gearbox with automatic selection so using D or R will put the car in gear thus giving some engine braking assistance to the hand brake. Selecting neutral will not as far as I know. On traditional autos P would lock the transmission, but stop you from driving off. N probably doesn't lock the transmission. Starting the car in D or R will only be possible with the clutch pedal depressed. If you do this then let the clutch out you will be in drive or reverse and may drive into something as the usual with automatics. Starting it in neutral will mean that if youthen drop the clutch nothing will happen. So you takes your choice, it would seem.

Please remember I'm guessing! Good luck.

PS Nice one VAG!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What I previously wrote here was wrong so I deleted it so not to confuse or give bad adviceEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Please refer to my earlier post which gives the simple answer. Don't over complicate a simple conseption.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Beevee said:
Please refer to my earlier post which gives the simple answer. Don't over complicate a simple conseption.

If this is so simple then why do VW and Skoda suggest the complete opposite?

I thought the situation was simple, but a bit of looking about suggests that it ain't simple.

I think I will ask VW, just for a laugh.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Beevee said:
You need to remember you have an automated manual gearbox as opposed to a fully automatic gearbox. If you park in drive or reverse it is the same as parking a manual car in gear. I always park in neutral with the handbreak on which is what you would do with a manual gearbox. If you were parked on a steep incline you might leave the car in gear for added security.
If you park in drive or reverse you cant take the key out of the ignition until you switch it off in neutral.

Edit of this post I was mistaken and Beevee is quite right with what they saidEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't understand Itzben. In my up I can remove the key in drive, reverse or neutral. However the car needs to be in neutral to start the engine. Perhaps you should give it a try!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have tried that's why I said

But didn't do it right and it does come outEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Try again

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the MMT in Aygo and I presume the function is the same as your ASG.
On level ground, park your car, bring the lever to neutral and apply handbrake. Shut off your car, remove key.
On inclined ground, park your car, leave the gear in D or R (D if it is parked uphill and R if it is parked down hill), apply handbrake and then shut off the engine, remove key. Here you have two line of defence to stop the car rolling, i.e. firstly the gear that is engaged (D or R) and secondly the hand brake.
When you have parked your car in gear and want to restart the engine and drive, the car will not start if you do not bring the gear to neutral. The gear can not be put to neutral if you do not insert and turn the key two clicks. So begin by inserting your key first and then turn your key two clicks, bring your gear to neutral (the car will not roll down because your hand brake is still on) , press your foot brake and start the car. Release the hand brake and pull out. I suppose you all have a hill assist function, making it easy to drive away from incline.

There are many posts in Aygo forum there people have parked the car in gear and have been unable to start beacuse they have forgotten to bring back the gear to neutral by inserting the key and turning it partially to bring the gear to neutral first before you can start the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Itzben said:
When you want to switch off,

Stop
Put in neutral
Handbrake on
Switch off
Then put in drive or reverse ( when you switch off it says safe stop thats what this is)
Wait a second here! How can you switch off the engine and then put the gear in drive or reverse because as you switch off the car, you have allready locked the gear, making gear shift impossible, as I understand it. You have to leave it in drive or reverse before you switch off the car so that the solenoid locks it in that gear for parking.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This drives me nuts. All you have to do is put your car in neutral and have previously applied the handbrake before starting the car.

If you get in your car and start it without checking the gear lever and the handbrake you should tear up your driving license and buy some new slippers. Frankly you should have your foot on the clutch in a manual. There's lots of people who have killed people and destroyed cars and garages when starting cold automatics.

The only reason neutral is suggested is probably because some idiots actually try to start their cars in gear and if the interlock fails, disaster.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Beevee said:
Don't understand Itzben. In my up I can remove the key in drive, reverse or neutral. However the car needs to be in neutral to start the engine. Perhaps you should give it a try!
Beevee I'm mistaken and just want to say sorry to you and any others I have mislead.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Raj55 said:
Itzben said:
When you want to switch off,

Stop
Put in neutral
Handbrake on
Switch off
Then put in drive or reverse ( when you switch off it says safe stop thats what this is)

Wait a second here! How can you switch off the engine and then put the gear in drive or reverse because as you switch off the car, you have allready locked the gear, making gear shift impossible, as I understand it. You have to leave it in drive or reverse before you switch off the car so that the solenoid locks it in that gear for parking.

When I got the car thats how I was told to do it,Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Itzben. We are all on a steep learning curve. I have a slight advantage in that my wife has been driving a peugeot 107 automatic for the last five years. They are a different beast from the normal fully automatic gearboxes. Hope you continue to enjoy driving your Up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts