Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this have been posted before;

I have noticed that the 'cigarette' phone charger socket does not provide power when car turned-off; so cannot charge phone / sat nav etc., I had this problem with 2 other cars, mondeo and skoda, and on checking owners manual there was a facility to move the fuse to another socket to allow power-on all times..

The Up owners manual does not show fuse options, and says as car 'under development' when manual printed.. get from dealer.. dealer has no info of fuse layout..

Has anyone managed work around this?

Thank you

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is normal, made for safety purposes. As the Up doesn't have additional 12V socket, it's notavailableto charge anything from the only 12V socket.

·
Registered
727 Posts
sgrahams said:
I have noticed that the 'cigarette' phone charger socket does not provide power when car turned-off; so cannot charge phone / sat nav etc.

Imagine not being able to call roadside assistance to give you a jump start after charging your phone overnight off you car..!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
The 12V socket not working when the ignition is turned off is just another of those annoying things missing or ill thought out with the Up. I can understand the socket not working from a safety standpoint but some folks will find this design feature 'inconvenient'.

Another couple of things that annoy (annoy is perhaps a bit strong) me personally, when the ignition is turned off, are:

1. The clock on in the instrument binnacle goes off straight away.

2. Open windows will not go up unless you put the key back in the ignition and turn the ignition back on. Grrrrrr...

My suggested solution - the clock stays on and power is supplied to the window switches until the door central locking is activated. I notice with interest that the clock comes on when you open the doors!

·
Registered
587 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
The 12V socket not working when the ignition is turned off is just another of those annoying things missing or ill thought out with the Up. I can understand the socket not working from a safety standpoint but some folks will find this design feature 'inconvenient'.

Another couple of things that annoy (annoy is perhaps a bit strong) me personally, when the ignition is turned off, are:

1. The clock on in the instrument binnacle goes off straight away.

2. Open windows will not go up unless you put the key back in the ignition and turn the ignition back on. Grrrrrr...

My suggested solution - the clock stays on and power is supplied to the window switches until the door central locking is activated. I notice with interest that the clock comes on when you open the doors!

Most cars have a switched 12v power supply socket those that do usually have an extra un- switched socket in the boot as well. My Leon turns off when you switch the ignition off as does the Golf. Only way round it is to have an auto electrician wire up apermanent12v feed.

The other two things you have listed have been the same on all the cars I have owned less a 3 series which had apermanentclock display and a Cadillac with a analogue clock.

Can the up use the hold down the lock button on the remote so all windows go up? A feature many VAG cars that have remote central locking?

·
Registered
532 Posts
My c2 has an economy setting which turns the radio off after 20 minutes, when the engine is off. in order to turn the radio on again, you have to start the engine. Talk about mixed thinking!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Hey folks...lets not lose sight of the fact this is a budget car.....my previous mercedes and bmw cars did have powered 12 v sockets in the boot (for fridges etc) and convenience closing of windows etc from the keyfob but they were also 3 and 4 times the price!

I reckon the up is pretty darn well equipped for a budget vehicle and its easy to wire up extra sockets etc if you so wish, there is even a spare terminal on the battery 12v busbar !

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Hey folks...lets not lose sight of the fact this is a budget car.....my previous mercedes and bmw cars did have powered 12 v sockets in the boot (for fridges etc) and convenience closing of windows etc from the keyfob but they were also 3 and 4 times the price!

The Up is indeed a budget car but it grates a little when my previous budget car had some of the aforementioned features and the Up does not. My Up was £11k and my Renault Clio was less than £10k when new - discounting inflation etc they could be said to be at the same price point.

Of course when you buy a new car, you only pay attention to the 'headline' features. Electric windows, central locking, air conditioning etc. You don't find out that functionality, which you've found handy in older cars, has been cut out to save a few pence (perhaps?).

My experience of buying an Up is analogous to buying an inclusion insurance policy, where you only find you are not covered when you make a claim i.e. you don't find features are missing from the car until you start to use it.

It is still a very good car though, which I enjoy driving despite these niggles.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If it had all the features that people are expecting, then how much would it cost to purchase?

Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Totally agree with last post. It is a budget car!. The main thing Is. It drives like it's on rails well built looks gorgeous and costs next to nothing in fuel etc. I downsized from a mondeo ghia x which had everything but cost an arm and a leg to run. I know what i am liking best

·
Registered
84 Posts
My old golf used to keep the cigarette lighter on when ignition not in, proved to be a pain in the arose when I accidentally forgot to unplug an FM transmitter once. Flat battery...
Much prefer it not to work without keys in ignition

1 - 15 of 15 Posts