Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just noticed 3 very long scraches on my window from my ice scraper. they are not very deep but they are about a foot long, what can i do?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its plastic

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd be shocked if your plastic scraper scratched glass. Not sure it's physically possible?
Could it have possibly been anything else? Any debris stuck between the wiper blades and glass?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My last car was covered in scratches from the plastic screen scraper - I will never use another one.

Stick to deicer spray.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely scratches I can feel it with my finger nail. Could not be any thing else they are horizontal slightly wiggley lines about a third of the width of my scraper apart from each other

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I know its not the same but I was drying my mates car once with one of those water blades and it trapped the tiniest piece of crap and put a nice scratch in his door. What i'm saying is maybe your scraper has picked up a piece of grit/crap and you havn't noticed or heard it (because you can hear when scrapping ice) an that's how you done it
As far as I'm aware there isn't a scratch remover for glass but I maybe mistakenEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can polish glass to a certain extent with an abrasive wheel (for glass) but I've not seen it used on a car windscreen. My ice scraper came from germany and has a copper blade.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all

Frankjetta neverseen one of them, interesting

·
Registered
189 Posts
Found details of german ice scraper at last.Sticker says, ART.Nr.96117 , Cartrend
System Partner Autotelle Gmbh and co.KG.
Greschbache strasse 1
76228 Karlsruhe.
www.spa-automotive.com
It has a brass blade and a rubber squeegy side, solid and works well.
Don't know if these details are enough to find them but hopefully it will.

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a foilblanket thing for my windscreen that seems to be doing the trick for now, only £2 ish from aldi.

Thanks though

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am afraid to say that glass is very easy to scratch especially if you trap a piece of grit when using, say, a scraper. At best, use a very soft bristled brush like the one you may have indoors.
All this information is too late now and those scratches won't be able to be removed without distorting the vision. All you can do is have a replacement windscreen with all the trouble that might involve.

Personally, I couldn't live with a scratched screen especially as you describe yours.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HHGTTG I dont think a soft bristled brush would have cut through ice on the windscreen

·
Registered
16 Posts
spud said:
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">HHGTTG</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"> I dont think a  soft bristled brush would have cut through ice on the windscreen </span>
I agree but it is useful for getting rid of significant amounts of loose snow before attacking the ice. Personally, I'd rather use a deicing fluid than scraping off ice. Also I'd rather start car and use interior heat to melt ice, although not good practice, I realise.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
spud said:
I got a foilblanket thing for my windscreen that seems to be doing the trick for now, only £2 ish from aldi.

Thanks though
I get one of these. Beat scraping early in the morning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, stupidly, I had forgotten the obvious. When I had to make early starts in my working day, I use to cover the windscreen and front side windows with an old sheet. I'd whip this off and hang it over the washing line to dry off or stuff it into a large plastic bag to keep if there was going to be a frost late afternoon. Really, it doesn't take much ingenuity to avoid having to scrape/scratch your windscreen under frosty conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts