Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my Garmin Sat-Nav that came with the VW e-Up! died (completely, I tried a replacement battery to no avail) so I jumped on ebay and got a replacement unit that was previously in a SEAT and followed this thead on how to switch the unit to the correct brand and model.

Everything is more or less working correctly other than the e-Up! specific Think Blue trainer (which still things gears are a thing) and the UI for setting timed charging which is only in German and doesn't want to save any settings that I add.

Anyone out there with a 2013-era e-Up! that could check and share some of the files from their unit so I can trying and fill the gaps? What with Garmin Fresh being a dead thing it's a little difficult to try and get the software updated on this thing.

Any other ideas/thoughts also appreciated.

M

·
Registered
50 Posts
You need to do the complete reset following those instructions again. Get it to the point where it says about setting it up to the car and choose automatic set up. Your on the right tracks. You don’t need any extra software it’s all on there you just need to follow it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to do the complete reset following those instructions again. Get it to the point where it says about setting it up to the car and choose automatic set up. Your on the right tracks. You don’t need any extra software it’s all on there you just need to follow it.
Done exactly the instructions listed, the design of the electric options is different from what I had previously and when trying to setup charging profiles and schedules I can select the options I want and hit Save but nothing gets saved, no error messages.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I might be wrong and I’m not an expert by any means just thinking out loud my understanding of the set up from doing mine. It sounds like you have it set up as a VW petrol version and not the electric version so it all looks correct but it isn’t. When you get to the screen that says what make of car you have or automatic you need to connect to the car at this point then select automatic. I hope this helps but if not good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what I’m the thinking from the instruction page.

5. Disconnect the unit. It will restart and give you a prompt where you can choose which car you have.
  • At this point you can choose "Automatic" and connect the unit to your car and it will detect the settings needed.
  • If you'd rather, you can choose "Volkswagen" and 3 questions will follow about your car - these dictate what features you get. If you pick the wrong thing, just repeat this step and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I’m the thinking from the instruction page.

5. Disconnect the unit. It will restart and give you a prompt where you can choose which car you have.
  • At this point you can choose "Automatic" and connect the unit to your car and it will detect the settings needed.
  • If you'd rather, you can choose "Volkswagen" and 3 questions will follow about your car - these dictate what features you get. If you pick the wrong thing, just repeat this step and try again.
Yes, I've done exactly that. I suspect the problem is that the e-Up! came out a whole year after the petrol cars it is based upon and this is incomplete software.

Screenshots below, the menu shows that the unit is aware it should be providing electric specific options, it just isn't quite right with the text in German:

Think Blue is showing an incredible 9.4miles per kWh and thinks I need training on how to use gears...

An even more impressive 409 mpkWh...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe it’s because it’s a navigon unit and e ups weren’t around. Garmin unit maybe different but I’m just guessing. Sorry I couldn’t help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I managed to contact another person with an e-Up! and compare the software on the devices. The "Navigon" badged device has software that dates to January 2012 which is before the VW e-Up! was released, the "Garmin" badged devices have software that dates to 2013, a later OS version and (according to Google, but haven't been able to verify) double the memory.

So I've returned the "Navigon" badged device and purchased another which had the "Garmin" badge, all is now good and "Henry the 3rd" is now installed in my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts