Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many Up! puns to be had...well, we, well the wife, bought our Move Up! about 3 weeks ago and overall we're very impressed. Couple of issues which I'm not sure are characteristics or problems though. First of all I'm not overly convinced the exhaust baffles haven't collapsed as it gargles and rasps and not in a good way. Doesn't seem to be blowing though. Also it sounds like a London taxi/old transit van/bag of hammers under acceleration. It isn't a 3 cylinder warble which is a separate sound, more like an old car that's low on oil in either gearbox or engine. I could imitate the noise by mouth but not by text I'm afraid. Think it's drive train related as if I dip the clutch and rev it, the noise (apart from the gargly exhaust) goes away. Sorry if this sounds like a rant as we love the car overall but this is our first new car and paid over the odds to get a VW premium product rather than the equivalent Suzuki Alto/Nissan Pixo. Both the same car, none of which have any of these issues and cost 3k less. Any thoughts from others on this and I'll browse the forum to see if others have the same, onwards and Up!wards!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The engine can sound a bit harsh at times under acceleration, but some gearboxes have been know to be a bitnoisy. Get it to the dealer and get them to check the gearbox out. I know of two Up!s that have had their gearbox replaced due to noise and aslightlybaulky feel to the gear change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't bode well for the future having a noisy box at this age, worries me that it weights 20kg too...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am expecting that a mod will beavailablesoon and fitted to anynoisygearboxes and really bad ones will be changed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
MIne had a bit of a sound in the past few days, and took it to the dealer for a diagnostic, and they are changing the gear box. So brand new gear box in about 10 to 20 days. it works fine, is smooth, but when is cold in the morning, it does make a bit of a sound. but oh well, im happy with a new gear box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I'll stick with it a few weeks and see how it is going, maybe I need to let it be run in a bit more first as its only done 60 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts