Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting this to say hello, as I'm new to this forum.

I'm 29 and live in Oslo, Norway.
I sold my Caravelle T5 2009 one week ago, and I'm considering upgradingto the VW High UP! with ASG-transmission (automatic) in Tornado Red, black dash with allavailableaccessoriesexceptthe leatherette seats. The price here in Norway is 185.000NOK/20650GBP/26500EUR discounted about 5% from the MSRP/list price. Yes, I want to go from the largest VW to the smallest for several reasons, mainly cost of ownership. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, cheaper to run and I can buy it without needing a car loan / financing plan.

Test drove one today (white High UP! with allaccessories, but manual transmission) and I wassurprisedto see how small it was on the outside, but how spacious it was on the inside. I will be using it alone during transport to/from work but it will also function as the only car for our family (girlfriend, son in child seat and large white boxer dog in the back). So I think I will be needing some sort of a roof rack / roof basket for this car and probably a dog guard. I think it makes sense to downgrade in size / cost as I drive alone with one laptop as my only luggage 95% of the time.

The only thing I did not like about the UP! was the poor sound quality,evenwiththe soundpackagewith extra speakers. But I think, i'm going to order one anyways because my alternative at the same price point is a VW Polo without any extras / automatic transmission.

Edit: 60HP version on test drive and the one I'm considering buying.

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
304 Posts
The asg version gets terrible reviews for being very jerky... And not good to drive at all... I would ensure you test drive an asg model before you commit to ensure you are happy with the experience.

It's a real shame they havent put the superb dsg auto in the up... Now that would be a super automatic car to drive!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
That cost would buy you a polo Gti in uk! Ouch!

Try the manual...very light and slick gearbox because asg gets poor ratings.

·
Registered
727 Posts
stratcast said:
The only thing I did not like about the UP! was the poor sound quality,evenwiththe soundpackagewith extra speakers.

I first test drove the up! it only had the 2 speakers so I had not idea how the extra speakers would sound but I ordered mine with the sound plus package anyway thinking it would be a huge improvement. When I took delivery I was a bit disappointed until I found the sound settings in the menu. Now I'm quite pleased with the sound, ok it's no concert hall but it does sound a lot better than the basic 2 speaker version did.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Markmod1 said:
The asg version gets terrible reviews for being very jerky... And not good to drive at all... I would ensure you test drive an asg model before you commit to ensure you are happy with the experience.

It's a real shame they havent put the superb dsg auto in the up... Now that would be a super automatic car to drive!

Has anyone seen any reviews of the ASG yet?
The only relevant information I found by googling is: "The ASG is an automated version of the five-speed manual gearbox in the up!. Such transmissions have a reputation for being jerky, but VW says their ""˜box behaves like a normal automatic."

I think I willprefer it to the manual transmission no matter how it performs, as I drive a lot in low speed traffic.It would be nice to test drive the ASG before making a decision, but the dealer won't have the ASG available before the first week in November so I'm not really sure what to do now. If I waituntilNovember before I place the order, the delivery will be delayed for an additional 1-2 months.

I'm currently waiting for the dealer to call me up, so I can see if I can get one UP for the price I was quoted if I buy two UP's (originally intended to buy two identical to get additional discount, but my mother got cold feet as she really loves her Polo which she can smoke in, haul stuff and treat like /%/& withoutworryinglike she would in a brand new car). If not, I will buy elsewhere (probably import it from a German VW dealer) or wait until they come out with a special offer of some kind (they do this regularly, like include winter tyres etc. for the same price).

·
Registered
30 Posts
stratcast said:
Just posting this to say hello, as I'm new to this forum.The price here in Norway is 185.000NOK/20650GBP/26500EUR discounted about 5% from the MSRP/list price.

Edit: 60HP version on test drive and the one I'm considering buying.
Ouch!!! In Portugal cars are expensive but with 26500‚¬ u can buy a small engined Golf/Jetta!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Here are some links to threads that mention the ASG up!

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/ags-gearbox_topic1667.html?KW=automatic
<a href="http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/ags-gearbox_topic1667.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/auto-gearbox-now-available_topic1611.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/up-automatic-review_topic888.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/automatic-transmission-trashed-in-reviews_topic931.html?KW=automatic" rel="nofollow">
</a>
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/auto-gearbox-now-available_topic1611.html?KW=automatic
<a href="http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/ags-gearbox_topic1667.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/auto-gearbox-now-available_topic1611.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/up-automatic-review_topic888.html?KW=automaticwww.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/automatic-transmission-trashed-in-reviews_topic931.html?KW=automatic" rel="nofollow">
</a>
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/up-automatic-review_topic888.html?KW=automatic
</a>
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/automatic-transmission-trashed-in-reviews_topic931.html?KW=automatic

Nick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello.
Original poster here.
I've done some research and the price I was offered from the local dealer is far from the best price the dealer can offer. They (actually the sellers manager) became rude and defensive when I asked if they can print out the price/specs we agreed on after the test drive. Maybe they wanted to make their 3% discount seem like anextremelylarge discount only available to me, who knows. They are in their right to do this, but I look at it as poor service. I'm spending a lot of money and I would like to look over the specs/pricing in the comfort of my own home before deciding. I have waited to see if they call me up or not, in order to give them one more chance to sell me the UP, but they never called. I don't know if they are interested in selling cars at all at this place (largest VW dealer in Norway), so I have decided to import the car from abroad.

I will save about 46000NOK/5000GBP/6285EUR by doing this, including fees to an import agent/broker. That saving is so huge that I've decided to go for the largest engine (75bhp), ASG and everything that's available in the configurator. A configuration I could not afford before. I would add more if it was possible
. I wish it was possible to spec fully automated aircon with a digital programmable thermostatand much better speakers+amp.It's a strange feelingbeingable to order the largest engine with all optional extras - something I probably never will be able to with a Mercedes/Audi/BMW-configurator... only the extras will cost more than the UP!

I felt really bad at first about test driving the car at the local dealer and importing it myself for a lower price, but it really makes sense when the difference is so huge and I'm not happy with the service at the local dealer. I went in prepared to place the order right after the test drive, but their discounts were so low that it stopped me from buying there and then. That in order made it possible for me to discover alternative ways to buy the car with great savings. It's true as they say that sellers should seal the deal before the customer leaves. They will still get my money for servicing/parts if they are interested

I hope I can place the order tomorrow! I just have to wait to see if they can deliver the car with winter tyres on 15" waffle alloys(in addition to the sports pack 16" triangle alloys with summer tyres seen on the configurator photos below).

Winter tyres on 15" VW UP! Waffle Alloys. The 16" VW Triangle alloys (first picture) are really nice and I considered to buy the same alloys for the winter tyres, but I think it will be nice to mix up the look during different seasons. And 15" will probably be a smoother ride for the winter.

I'm so hyped!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I hope you have included any import duty / taxes on your price Stratcast... Please make sure you have not overlooked any 'hidden' costs

I'm sure you have as you are going through an import agent... But buying bike parts from abroad I have had a few 'shocks' from the tax man when cheap parts are delivered that then become expensive parts at my door.

Those seats do look lovely though, wish you hadn't shown me the rear seats as I now wish I had gone for this on my up black!

I don't think dealers currently have much 'play' in the amount they can offer as discount to customers... Stock is still tight, with good eating lists. I am sure vw are not giving much discount on the trade price dealers get these in at so cutting the dealers options. Most dealers seem to get round this by offering 'extras' a reduced rates to sweeten the deal... Servicing thrown in fir free... Half price 'top up' insurance... Free Mats... Accessories etc and bigger trade in residuals on your old car... But that's as far as it goes at the moment.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it's including everything from an import agent with a very good reputation. It's a no-brainer as they will take care of all the paper work, transportation and registration. The car will be deliveredregisteredin my name ready to drive.

They import the VW UP! from VW Poland.
The net cost for the car (what I have to transfer to the VW dealer in Poland) isapprox. 74000NOK/8000GBP for the 75bhp ASG with all the extras. That's cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
excellent....love the seats.....how long will the delivery be by importing?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wouldn't suggest playing with the law.. all this reexport stuff with unlegal agents.We have canceled 2 dealer contracts in Baltic's for such thing. They reexprted massive quantity of Multivans back to Germany.
Now "smart" germans who bought those Multivans are involved in courtproceedingsas witness'es..
(sarcasm)

Be careful with Your choice!

Edited by: b82ry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow looks mini but very rich and spacious inside. I feel like it i am driving high priced one. Low price, looks mini and spacious inside and what else do we need for our family? I am sure you are going to enjoy the ride on purchasing. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Privatedoc said:
excellent....love the seats.....how long will the delivery be by importing?

They say up to 4 months :(
I will have a confirmed date soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
b82ry said:
I wouldn't suggest playing with the law.. all this reexport stuff with unlegal agents.We have canceled 2 dealer contracts in Baltic's for such thing. They reexprted massive quantity of Multivans back to Germany.
Now "smart" germans who bought those Multivans are involved in courtproceedingsas witness'es..
(sarcasm)

Be careful with Your choice!

I buy the car directly from the dealer - the agent only helps me with setting up the contract, transportation and registration.

It's not illegal to buy cars from dealers outside your country (from what I know). I could have bought it in the UK, Germany or Sweden (three other popularchoices for importing cars into Norway). Or you can come and buy it it Norway, if you want to pay 201000NOK/27296EUR/21806GBP for the UP! Iordered with all extras. I don't think the dealers have any restrictions on who they can sell their cars to? VW get their money in either case? Are you saying that they should refuse to sell cars if the customer has an address abroad or if the customer want's to buy the car without local registration?

93.065 cars were imported into Norway from Jan-Aug 2012.
20.123 of them were not imported by the official dealers but through other channels.
So this is not something new only I do

I also do all my servicing outside Norway atPorsche Alpenstrasse in Austria,Nilsson Bilin SwedenorVW Kiel(all official VW dealers), most of the time on my way to vacation in Italy and/or festivals in Germany. I save about 50% by doing that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts