Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone from Germany,

I have had my VW Lupo for 10 years now and I think it's time for a new car.
Drove VW all my life (I am 50 now) and would only change this for a British car ...

I think my nickname already says that I love England (and the Welsh borderland) and medieval who-dunnits. Have been to England, Wales and the IOM by car two times and three times by motorbike ...

One of my hobbies is making music (guitar, bass, drums) and writing compilations about guitar and bass electronics and history. As a Fender fan I was excited to see that VW offers a Fender sound system in the up! ...
I have Fender guitars, basses and amplifiers - but no Fender car yet.

Still wondering which up! I will take.
A groove up! in black or a high up! in black with salsa seats and red dashboard? My Lupo has never been cleaned during the last 10 years - so, I need something "non-to-polish" ...

In Germany the groove up! is advertised as a "disco machine" but mine will surely never play disco music. More ZZ Top, The Free, Deep Purple, Howlin Wolf, David Lindley (reggae-rock-swamper mix) ...

Intersting that there is no German up! forum being "really alive" ...

I will tell you which final chose I made.
This forum already helped me with interesting photos of the salsa interior plus red, silver or black dash board (which will surely not be my choice because of cleaning).

CU
Andreas (no BVB Dortmund fan!)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hello Andreas and welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you will be pleased with your UP! when you get it.

I wonder why there is not an UP forum in your country.

Your English is very good and much better than my German
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
438 Posts
Welcome. I have a Groove Up. It's excellent!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am waiting for my High up on 1st November.
You have liked the parts of Britain you have seen - you MUST see Scotland next!Edited by: ospreywatcher

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi there Andreas, welcome to the forum.

I am a fender fan too, have two fender guitars but never had a fender amp, just marshalls

Hopefully the groove up sound system will live up to fender's reputation of making awesome sounding gear!!

If you have liked your Lupo enough to keep it 10 years then i'm sure you'll love the up!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for your welcome!

The dark interior of the Groove up! might be better for me as I hate cleaning my car.
Untypcial for a German ...

But imagine how much beer I could buy during the last 10 years instead of getting my car washed!

EDIT:
When I bought my Lupo 10 years ago they had the option "all year tyres".
Why don't they have this option for the up! anymore???

Here in Germany we have to have summer and winter tyres - or "alll year tyres". Otherwise you get into trouble at a police control or when you have an accident.
I drove 22,000 km (13,750 miles) in the last 10 years (also have two motorbikes). I renewed my tyres on the Lupo because they had become too old - not because they were worn off ...

I have to order my up! for spring, have to order winter tyres too (change every 1000 km / 625 miles?) or have to remove and throw away the brand new tyres and put on "all year tyres" ...

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello Andreas,Welcome to the forum... and enjoy.
I am and english expat living and working in Germany, not a million miles away in Bielefeld...But moving soon to Dusseldorf.

I ordered the Cross UP in Black, pick it up form Wolfsburg on 12th Nov... so looking forward to cheaper motoring... got V6 4motion Passat at the moment... which just drinks petrol... best MPG so far is 30. roll on cheaper motoring...

Maybe all these UP owners club members here in Germany could arrange a meeting... show off your car :)
If it happens would be great... and guys from the UK come on over too...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thats a good suggestion... UP!'s of Europe invade the Autostadt LOL...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my VW Lupo at the Autostadt at my 40th birthday - nearly 10 years ago.
I was so tired because I had moved to Dortmund and worked hard to get my new flat ready.

I think I will not get my up! at the Autostadt - even if it costs a lot more to let it bring to Dortmund.

@ GarethB: You know that Bielefeld doesn't exist?
Have you heard about the "Bielefeld conspirency"? Government just wants to make us believe that Bieldefeld exists - but no one has ever been there or has even seen it!

Düsseldorf is my "home area" - but I was born and lived 40 years on the "right" side of the River Rhine - so, the Left Lower Rhine Area, Dutch Borderland.

Haven't decided yet which up! I will take - but 90% the groove up (in black).
Today my boss told me that every employee will get a smartphone for work (and private use).
Gladly I saw the mobile compatibility list in this forum yesterday!

The Samsung Galexy S3 is in the list and I hope my new S4 will work as good with the maps + more as the listed S3. Have never had a smartphone or a navigator before - so, it is important for me to keep everything working not too difficult ...

But it would be great not only to have a new car with navi but also easy compatible with a smartphone.

Only problem is the milage. About 120 miles per month ...
I have 1.5 miles from home to work. Will surely find the way without navigator ...

The car is most important for beer transport. In Germany we have 20x 0.5 litre bottle boxes.

Oh yes. Watched the Skoda Citigo.
But besides I drove VW all my live a similar Skoda would not be much cheaper than the VW.
VERY SAD that they don't offer the "Rock" in Germany - but as a bass player "Groove" ain't the worst car name ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have heard of the conspiracy, When i lived in Moenchengladbach few years ago... we had the rumour... then I had to go their.... ohh well... nuff said...

I will be moving into Zentral Düsseldorf, buying a new city apartment... watching it being built still, so renting for the next year...

The Cross UP will be my 6th VW... 4 have been company cars... 2 owned...
I know all about the beer here lol.... been living in Germany now for 7 years.
as long as i can get beer and golf clubs in the car, Im happy :)
and it can carry the wife's shoe or hand bag collection...
Ohh second thoughts should have purchased a LKW (Lorry for the English) instead LOL?

and as i play jazz cornet i appreciate the pun for the Groove up for a Bass player.

Most phones are simple to sync to bluetooth, its the functionality which is the key. no Doubt in later software/firmware updates to the M&M newer phones will become available.

and i am not young in my mid 40s so your not alone in us oldies getting young trendy cars LOL...

Which ever model you decide on... Enjoy.. life is to short...
Carpe Diem... Seize the Day...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Cadfael. Nice to hear that you have a good sense of humour. I used to travel to Duisburg regularly to celebrate various occasions with friends of mine. I am actually a member of the Deutscher Marine Bund (I served for 23 years in the Royal Marines and got to know a lot of very nice Germans). Until recently I used to drive over about three or four times a year, but age is now becoming a nuisance and also waiting for operations in hospitals takes up a lot of my time. But I am looking forward to getting mobile next year and seeing all my friends again.

I got my VW Up! about eighteen months ago and love it. I bought the top model at that time the Up! White with most of the gadgets included. I love the heated seats in the winter and the heating and cooling systems work beautifully in all weathers. I had never had a car with cruise control before so I am also delighted with that. At first I only used it on motorways but now I also use it to keep from creeping above speed limits on normal roads. I get in to fifth gear ASAP and the set the speed to the maximum for that area and find it works a treat.

The last time I drove to Duisburg I was in a motor-home and then with a couple of my friends we spent a couple of weeks going to such exotic places as Dresden and up the Moselle etc. A mobile-home is ideal for doing that of course. But I gave that away to an ex-servicemen's organisation for the wounded. Now I am looking forward to driving over in my VW Up! I miss my trips to Duisburg and visiting so many friends and I will be able to show off my Up! It is the best car I have ever had and in sixty years of driving I have had a lot of different cars. If I were you I would stick with the Up!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh yes. forgot what I meant to say...My phone which is a Nokia Asha 300 works beautifully in the M & M system. It connects by bluetooth and then re-connects every time I get back in the vehicle. Something else which works perfectly in the system is a mini-SD card. I have lots of really old music on mine mostly from the fifties but some as far back as the thirties. I can't stand this modern rubbish where all you get is shouting and banging noises. Good luck with your Up!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bingalau,

if you were in Duisburg regularly you know the border crossing Venlo (NL) - Straelen (DE)?
That's where I lived nearly 40 years ...
I once was in Liverpool when visiting a friend in Chorley.

300 Watts can make people smile! Imaginge driving through the streets with "Yes, we have no bananas", "Chattanooga Cho Cho", "Don't sit under the apple tree", "How high the moon" or "Take good care of my baby" turned fully on!

Loud music normally means "boom, boom, boom" ...
I normally have my radio turned down to "normal loudness". But once I drove though the city in summer with window down and some 60s Blues-Rock (Cream or Free?). I had to stop at a traffic light and a man about 50 y.o. gave me a bright smile!

I think people will stop listening to Les Paul and Mary Ford. Excellent, groovy music and something you normally don't get to hear in the streets ...

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cream - yes! - I used to live next door to Jack Bruce's mother... he always came home for Hogmanay - a really nice bloke.

·
Registered
115 Posts
its nice to hear these tunes being played. Im a big fan of the old classics.Beetles, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Otis Reading, Deep Purple, Canned Heat, Steely Dan, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd... just name a few... I also enjoy Classical music. and some modern jazzy/blues numbers. Often singing along with the music as i am driving.
I make up my own driving tunes... put them on CD and in the car... be good to be able to just change and update onto my iPod instead and sync to the stereo in the car... lol

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sh*t that even 2013 the radio has no USB port ...
The cheap non-VW-radio in my Lupo has a USD port. So I can easily change/add songs to an "old" stick. My standard CDs are a ZZ Top complialtion (mostly ZZ Top until April 1980 Rockpalast) and a David Lindley compilation. If I drove longer terms, I would surely add "Tommy" the Who ...

@ GarethB: I think we could spend a music weekend without arguing about the music ...

I would surely add David Lindley, Manfred Mann's Earth Band and in a quiet moment "Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edgar Allan Poe" ...

But it's great to play "untypical music" in a car (like "How high the Moon", Buddy Holly, Paul Anka, Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Sam Cooke etc.). "Everyone" knows these songs but no one plays them in the car (real loud). Imagine driving through the city with Sam Cooke's "Cupid", "Chain Gang", "Wonderful World" +++ ...

Have to do this next summer!

@ ospreywatcher: Ooops!
As a bass player (and Cream fan) I love his music and what he has done for millions of bass players is incredible. Besides The Ox (John Entwistle), Chas Chandler and Andy Fraser he opened totally new ways how to play bass in a rock and blued band and made the bass a "solo instrument" ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I could happily while away the hours listening to good music and drinking beer...

Full Blast... Glen Campbell - Wichita Linesman.. lol
bit of Gerry Rafferty: Right down the line, Get it right next time or his famous Baker Street...

Or maybe something wide off the beaten track... with some Russell Morris: The wings of an Eagle or The real Thing...
Or Good morning Starshine by Oliver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts