Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've owned an UP Black for exactly 1 year and I love it except for one thing. The transmission makes a very annoying noise every time I change gear - a pronounced clunk / click as if the clutch is 'snatching'. I took it back to VW and the technician confirmed that there did appear to be a problem - we drove another UP and it didn't have the noise - they tested the gearbox oil to check for swarf and then changed the oil and this cured the problem for a week or two but the problem returned very quickly. VW are now telling me that the noise is normal and that I need to get used to it. Sorry VW it is not 'normal' and I can't get used to it. VW quoted the well documented idling gear box noise problem - not actually the problem my UP has, mine is a pronounced transmission noise as the engine reengages at each gear change. VW say that they aren't going to do anything about it because the gear box is 'working' so I am now stuck with a year old car that sounds like a bag of nails - not pleased.

Is there a problem with the UP gearbox / transmission? Is there something that VW needs to tell us about the UP gearbox and transmission?

TIM

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi just .reading your problem with the clutch /gearbox you say the problem went when they changed the oil ,so obverselyThere is a problem ,it could be warn thrust bearings the cogs warn, it is really a mind field ,if it were me I would take it to a reputable gear box centre /garage ,and get them to check it out ,if there is a faulty part I would have it repaired and give them the bill , as they are tech engineers ,they send all there gearbox problems out to the professional garages ,that deal with those sort of problems .hope this helps phill

·
Registered
851 Posts
There are one or two threads on here from owners who have had new gearboxs in quite new ups. I suppose it is down ti hiw supportive your dealer is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. As you say a minefield. I bought the 5 years VW warranty option with the vehicle so I have another 4 years for the problem to get worse and for them to fix it. Pity about having to drive around with a noisy transmission in the mean-time. Well hacked off with VW.

TIM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts