Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I´m an ex-pat Brit living near Obidos, Portugal. I road tested almost every small car available in Portugal including the new Panda, Micra, Ka & Fiesta and a Twingo before ordering my white five door UP! I think I got a good deal as I got a pre registered High UP! for the price of a Move UP! Hope to pick it UP! next week. It´s to replace my Nissan Note 1.5DCI. Looking forward to owning another petrol engine car after a handful of diesels.

Bob.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hope you enjoy it as much as we are enjoying ours - 600 miles since 1st November. Great drive - and no weird engine / clutch / gearbox noises that others have reported. Totally different quality to the Ford KAs we have had previously - even though we liked them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the club... from an ex-pat living in Germany... :)Cannot say how mine drives yet... as i don't collect it until next week... collecting it from the VW AutoStadt in Wolfsburg...
My current 2.8V6 4Motion Passat goes on Monday... and Tuesday will be driving a Cross UP. Hello Cheaper fuel bills LOL...
I looked at all of the different makes, Dacia Sandero and Duster, the Fiesta, and Polo etc etc etc..
Found that the UP put a smile on my face when driving.. so it was the clear winner for me...
Enjoy your High UP! and the club forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked the car up yesterday and very pleased. Can´t get over the ride for a small car. The motor seems tight but, it´s only done 60km so, I guess it will loosen up quiet a bit. I´m surprised that the first service is 15000km but, I guess with modern manufacturing techniques and the low friction engine design with no specific running in period a service, after running in, isn´t needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I collected my up! from the autostadt yesterday... and was told by the VW guys that I need keep it below 4000rpm for the first 1000km to run in the engine. So this is what i am doing. it was a 200km drive back from the autostadt to my second apartment and another 200km to my new apartment tomorrow.so 1000km will happen fairly quickly... Felt really good on the autobahn, and maps and more showing 5 l/100km at the moment. but I did notice it wants you to change up to 5th very quickly.. hardly doing 50kmh, not so sure labouring a new engine like that is a good idea.. but it does pull ok in the higher gears with no sense of the engine labouring...

Edited by: GarethB

·
Registered
851 Posts
Most people learn to ignore the gear change indicator. With such a small engine you need some revs for any kind of performance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am just having to get used to driving a manual again... as my old car was an Automatic...and also i am seeing if the fuel economy is really linked to changing gear... for this Think Blue.

Also with running it in I'm not going to quickly enough to worry about performance yet... No doubt that will change :) later....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, thanks for the info re: running in. That sounds reasonable and I haven´t been over 4000 rpm so I´ll stick to that as well. I´ve noticed the gear selection indicator (or whatever it´s called) does advise changing up, what seems to be, very early. It doesn´t take much of an incline and changing up when advised by indicator leaves the engine labouring. Not something to do with a new engine so I´ve been ignoring it. Maybe when the motor has loosened up it would be OK as a guide but it seems pretty unnecessary. Shame you can´t turn it off!

·
Registered
296 Posts
the 'magic gear' indicator is set for maximum economy, which will inevitably be at odds with other factors including what is the safest gear to be in approaching any situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts