Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the HID kit installed today, took me about an hour! They are a 55w 6000k Hi/Lo pro kit from HIDs direct. They are unbelievably bright and unfortunately I can't get a photo that does them justice!

(I know these aren't fully legal in this car before anyone says but we don't need an MOT for 3 years so we'll cross that bridge then!)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ooh, definitely liking those. Would love to have some but I'm such a wuss that just hearing the word "illegal" makes me cringe so I'll probably not bother.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had HID's in my Arosa and it never affected anything, most cars now have LED lights anyway so they don't look that much different! It's just when it comes to the MOT more than anything they make a difference x

·
Registered
235 Posts
Clowesa,

There are plenty of other posts on this Forum about the pros and cons of HID headlights.

If you want more light and want to keep your car legal, Philips and Osram do very good halogen upgrades which will probably give you what you want and will ensure you don't dazzle on-coming traffic.

I'm not saying they are as bright as HID, but will meet the needs of most people.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Looking good, only hassle might be if you need to claim insurance and a loss engineer spots they are not standard...bloody insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid a claim....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I hate being blinded by headlights when I'm driving, so out of principal I wouldn't upgrade my headlights. Unless you live in the depths of nowhere and need really bright lights, I think they should all be illegal. I see no reason why the majority of people would need brighter headlights.

But I'm sure they look great

BUT
I love mods and have an appreciation and respect for anyone who does something a bit different, so look forward to seeing more from you guys
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I have Xenons on my current car and they are great in the wilds where I live...they were however a £1200 option (ouch) If they were available ex factory I'd probably have specced them but I tend not to like to muck about with safety related mods. just cosmetic /audio ones.

I do applaud you for having a go with them though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
When they are properly controlled using the expensive, and complicated, self-levelling mechanisms, then they aren't a problem. It's when they are fitted to vehicles that weren't designed with them in mind that the problems arise.

I used to dislike the early projector lights as they created a distracting spectrum as the vehicle went over bumps and the angle of the light changed - the BMW Z1 was a good example. The flickering always caused me to look into the lights, rather than trying to concentrate on my side of the road.

Nick

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Memories!, I remember having a shot of a Z1 , complete with its drop-down plastic doors...it was great fun but a little impractical I ended up with a honda CRX V-Tech at that point...amazing technology but got stolen ! :-(

·
Registered
956 Posts
Upmeister said:
Clowesa,

There are plenty of other posts on this Forum about the pros and cons of HID headlights.

If you want more light and want to keep your car legal, Philips and Osram do very good halogen upgrades which will probably give you what you want and will ensure you don't dazzle on-coming traffic.

I'm not saying they are as bright as HID, but will meet the needs of most people.

Thanks Upmeister, I'll take a look at those

·
Registered
118 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Looking good, only hassle might be if you need to claim insurance and a loss engineer spots they are not standard...bloody insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid a claim....
I used to work for an insurance company so it's something that I took into consideration before I put them in but I'm not concerned too much as I would avoid going through insurance of anything happened like with the lady that hit me and drove off.

I love them, it's just a matter of opinion really...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
OK and thanks for the FB friend....its nice to put a pic to a name!

John

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Looks really good!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Upmeister said:
Clowesa,

Couldn't agree more, in a price comparison you just can't beat the Philips or Osram bulbs for delivering a good quality of light on the road for a very small investment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
vwild1 said:
Couldn't agree more, in a price comparison you just can't beat the Philips or Osram bulbs for delivering a good quality of light on the road for a very small investment. 
Like I said, it's a matter of opinion.. We bought the Philips bulbs and I didn't like them, they weren't the colour I wanted and as previously said I had HID's in my old car and loved them. At £60 with a 2yr guarantee for them I'm definitely not complaining about value, especially knowing how good quality the products are from HID's direct from past experience.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked an online automotive lighting supplier here in Switzerland (bought my MTEC SuperWhites from them) for an HID conversion kit. Sounded interesting until I got to the part which states on the website, "Ohne Zulassung nach der StVZO" (translation: "Without approval by the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations") so vehicles outfitted with conversion kits are obviously illegal here as well. Though one could theoretically do it (hoping not to get caught) the risk in the event of an accident could find one with a very huge fine from the police and very likely non payment from the insurance company for any damages incurred because your vehicle did not conform to vehicle licensing regulations (they'll jump at any chance not to pay). Case in point, there is no requirement by law in Switzerland to use winter tires during the winter months BUT if you have an accident in icy conditions with summer tires mounted on your vehicle you can pretty much forget about any insurance payout (the local media reminds us every autumn of this point).

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like I said, each to their own opinion.

We post things to make people aware of what we have done and I understand some people won't agree but being so negative is a massive put off on this website sometimes! Like Jordan stated in the first post, we know they aren't legal...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vwild1 said:
Out of curiosity I checked an online automotive lighting supplier here in Switzerland (bought my MTEC SuperWhites from them) for an HID conversion kit. Sounded interesting until I got to the part which states on the website, "<span ="apple-style-span"="" style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 18px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Ohne Zulassung nach der StVZO" (translation: "Without approval by the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations") so vehicles outfitted with conversion kits are obviously illegal here as well. Though one could theoretically do it (hoping not to get caught) the risk in the event of an accident could find one with a very huge fine from the police and very likely non payment from the insurance company for any damages incurred because your vehicle did not conform to vehicle licensing regulations (they'll jump at any chance not to pay). Case in point, there is no requirement by law in Switzerland to use winter tires during the winter months BUT if you have an accident in icy conditions with summer tires mounted on your vehicle you can pretty much forget about any insurance payout (the local media reminds us every autumn of this point).  </span>
Hahaha! Dont be so soft, Thanks for the heads up! I'll take the risk, although im sure I was clear I know the rules!
used HIDs 'illegally' for about 6 years and never had a problem, if u don't approve don't do it, no ones forcing u!

·
Registered
727 Posts
FreyaMx said:
We post things to make people aware of what we have done and I understand some people won't agree but being so negative is a massive put off on this website sometimes! Like Jordan stated in the first post, we know they aren't legal...
It's not being negative, it's being factual, and I was just stating that they are clearly illegal here in Switzerland as well as in the UK. Sounds like this could be the norm in most all EU (compliant) countries. Curious if other countries within the EU have the same restrictions on the use of HID conversion kits. Being stopped in a foreign country over an illegal vehicle modification could well turn out to be very expensive and not very funny.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That wasn't aimed at just you, there have been a few negative comments - on more than just the HID's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts