Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our move up! for a few weeks now and have been very pleased so far. I noticed today however when dropping someone off a noise which I can best describe as sounding like a Dyson whilst idling. Couldn't hear it until the door was open but it was very obvious when it was. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for this type of engine as I haven't heard anything like it before.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Most likely just thethermostatically controlled radiator fan. Another possibility would be the air conditioning compressor if it was on at the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't have the aircon on and had not been stuck in traffic so thought it was odd. Will try and check it out this weekend. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It may be the gearbox. Mine does it too. The gearbox has to match the speed of the gear to the wheels. The lack of insulation in this car means you really hear it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heard this the other day on mine after a long run. Strange high pitched sound like a dyson but only quiet.. Didn't bother to have a look and see what it could have been as I was busy!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Craig200588 said:
I get a high pitch whine when I'm at high speeds in 5th .... its a little annoying .... until I turn my music back up :D
Yea me too, I can manipulate the noise with the accelerator, i.e by adding load or negative load, this makes me think it's some sort of gearbox whine but wouldn't know if it's normal or not

·
Registered
677 Posts
The clunk from the gearbox is beginning to get on my boobs!! every time I change gear its like CAACHHUUNNKKKKK!!! its got a few unique sounds does my little Up!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The clunk is annoying I agree, I nearly stalled today and it sounded like my gearbox fell on the floor clunking back and forward. Another clunk ive noticed is the calipers when applying the brakes in reverse, anyone else had it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ashy87, I had the clunk from the calipers but when going forwards and at slow speeds, like stop start traffic or parking. I had it checked and I ended up having a new caliper as it was leaking. Noise then stopped but has returned in the last couple of months. My Up is going back in to have it checked again next week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts