Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Page 149 explains: "Hill Hold Assist ... On an incline, the STATIONARY vehicle must be
held in position with the footbrake until the vehicle starts
moving".

1) That's fine "When you are last to stop in a line, sit on the footbrake so anything coming
up behind can see you are stationary" But as HonestJohn continued, in reply to a query Jan 2009, "As soon as it does, select
neutral, pull on the parking brake and get your foot off the footbrake
so you don't blind the driver behind.
"

2) holding the vehicle on the footbrake can lead
to warping of the discs as the heat generated in stopping cannot
dissipate from the area clamped by the brake pads

3) holding the vehicle on the footbrake for more
than 2 secs without applying the handbrake is contrary to good practice (and
possibly the Highway Code?)

All to eliminate the good old fashoned 'hill start' ! Any ideas?

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you are worried then use the handbrake..

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's great when you stop briefly on a hill. Saves the whole handbrake routine and works a treat.yEdited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've never herd such BS before...

Unless you drive like a rally driver across town, your discs are going to be just fine.
I've been holding my brake at the lights for years with no issues. Today my BMW does for me which is a great relief

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Personally, I hate sitting behind people at the traffic lights (in the dark) with their brake lights on. The high level ones can be really bright. I always use my hand break so as not to cause the person behind any dazzle.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rednaxela said:
Personally, I hate sitting behind people at the traffic lights (in the dark) with their brake lights on. The high level ones can be really bright. I always use my hand break so as not to cause the person behind any dazzle.
Same here.

Current car brakelights light up the area aft of the car for 100s of yards.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had always thought that it was drivers of cars with automatic gearboxes that held the car on the footbrake at lights.

On a mnual, I must admit I do it but only momentarily,anything longer and the handbrake goes on.

Personally I find the feature on the up! excellent and it's usefulness is still growing on me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
can't you be happy that somebody thought about people who can't drive a car without using a handbrake to start on a hill.

i really don't care if somebody behind me can't stand my brake lights. on the other end maybe some engineer will invent a brake light dimmer too. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts