Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a Seat mii that had `hill hold`, which was extremely easy to engage, reasonable amount of pressure on the brake pedal, & it would engage, to the Up which you have to really press very hard ( sometimes nothing happens & dangerous). I`m wondering what everyone else`s opinion on it is i.e. do i have a fault ?.

Also had a quick poke under the bonnet & noticed that i have some brake fluid that seem`s to have come out of the cap & trickled along the seam of the brake fluid reservoir ( cap is as tight as can be , so slightly stumped?).:plain:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I never use it (or indeed many 'driver aids')
But as for the brakes - is the reservoir full ? Has someone maybe topped it up and then replaced pads and/or shoes causing it to now be too full ?. Is the servo OK? (how much pressure required on brake pedal before & after starting?). Also are any wheel cylinders sticking? (If you can, safely chock opposite corner and jack up each wheel in turn brakes off - then get someone to apply them & see if off=off & on =on OK. Do that engine off and with foot pressure only). If you aren't used to working on brakes - best to get someone experienced to check them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Coming from a Seat mii that had `hill hold`, which was extremely easy to engage, reasonable amount of pressure on the brake pedal, & it would engage, to the Up which you have to really press very hard ( sometimes nothing happens & dangerous). Im wondering what everyone else's opinion on it is i.e. do i have a fault ?
Sounds normal. On other manual cars I've owned once hill hold is engaged it stays on until you release the clutch. On the Up it engages and holds for only a few seconds, then the car will roll backwards or forwards. I thought it was pretty rubbish at first but I don't really think anything of it now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Never had any problem with it engaging on the Up GTi or the Citigo.

As for its usefulness, my daughter loved it when she was learning to drive on her Citigo, as we live on the top of the North Downs and every traffic light or junction near us is on a slope. The extra second or so it a bit of a lifeline for learner drivers. However, on the GTi one would expect the driver to have a bit more experience and in less need of devices like this.

That said you must remember it only works on an uphill slope and not on a downhill one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replies, as for the dried up fluid around the brake reservoir, i have never put any fluid in there & VW haven`t as it is yet to have it`s 1st service ( in this Friday). I will mention the fluid around reservoir & the hill hold pressure whilst they have it it though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've only ever had hill-hold in a hire car (Fiat 500) and it made me stall every time as I was too busy panicking about it working correctly. Didn't help that I wasn't at first aware it was activated on the car.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just a side-note it can be adjusted in VCDS, for how long it holds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts