Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my up for almost a year now with no issues, apart from that in the last couple of weeks I'm noticing the sound of water sloshing around from the rear offside! it's apparent when braking or pulling away.

I've not had chance to investigate yet, it's not rained much in the last few days (but heavy downpours a week back) but the sloshing sound is constant so it's not draining away slowly, wondering if its trapped in the rear quarter or sill or something? it's a 3 door up.

I could only find one other post where this issue gets a mention on the forum -

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/2-years-of-up_topic5190_page1.html?KW=water

Will report back when I know more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Checked underneath the sills, there are two removable grommets on each side, one front, one rear. Removed the grommets and about half a pint of water dripped out. No sloshing noises anymore, I don't know what's causing it but I'll leave the grommets out for the meantime.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
There is four of these plugs. I had the same problem don't know how the water gets in?

Some folk say its through the petrol filler cap hinge.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gary02tdi said:
There is four of these plugs. I had the same problem don't know how the water gets in?

Some folk say its through the petrol filler cap hinge.
Through the filler cap hinge, I never thought of that - it would explain why its only happening on the drivers side. If it is from there, I'm not too concerned, as long as the water can get out.

It went in for its service last week, VW didn't have a clue, they had not heard of it being an issue and couldn't find the cause, but they did seem keen that I bring it back for them to look at next time we have rain.

I might try and shine a torch at the hinge and see if I can see light at those rear drainage holes. or maybe it would be easier to squirt water down there and see if it pours out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my up for almost a year now with no issues, apart from that in the last couple of weeks I'm noticing the sound of water sloshing around from the rear offside! it's apparent when braking or pulling away.

I've not had chance to investigate yet, it's not rained much in the last few days (but heavy downpours a week back) but the sloshing sound is constant so it's not draining away slowly, wondering if its trapped in the rear quarter or sill or something? it's a 3 door up.

I could only find one other post where this issue gets a mention on the forum -

Up Owners Club

Will report back when I know more.

Checked underneath the sills, there are two removable grommets on each side, one front, one rear. Removed the grommets and about half a pint of water dripped out. No sloshing noises anymore, I don't know what's causing it but I'll leave the grommets out for the meantime.
Thank you for this, I started to hear the sloshing noise too and after reading v your post pulled off the caps. Lots of water came from drivers side and the noise has stopped ! Saved me an trip to the mechanic !

·
Registered
202 Posts
I must check this out as well. No noises, but if it can get in I want to make sure it gets out. Weird though because there is a drain in the filler housing and mine is piped down inboard of the inner wing and from where the hinge is I would expect that to just run down in the wheel well area.
(I took mine off for a gander/clean/preservative spray recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts