Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered yesterday when a Mercedes was about to back into me when I was parked, that the horn will not work unless the ignition is turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
In the UK it is illegal to sound the horn when stationary. So this is probably a good feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
That's an odd piece of law, as you could be stationary, as in this case, and need to warn another road user that they are endangering you by their actions.

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
It is also illegal to sound your horn in a built up area between 11.30 pm and 7.30 am !! The same applies to barking dogs !! �•
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
It's actually 07:00, not 07:30. So you will be able to wake the neighbours up early!

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Thanks for that Nick but only if I am on the move of course and as a warning !! ”Š”Š
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
In preparation for my recent AIM 's "55+" driver assessment I read right thru the latest Highway Code .... and yes, I memorised EVERY clause, - and I set it to music (all right, it was for the B flat horn solo).

You CAN use your horn at A N Y time!!!!! " ... You MUST NOT use your horn ... except when another road user poses a danger" (Capitals, red ink, bold and italics all as printed in Code, Clause 112)

So, that's the definitive ruling on this one!

Edited by: PeterWestSussex
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
In preparation for my recent AIM 's "55+" driver assessment I read right thru the latest Highway Code .... and yes, I memorised EVERY clause, - and I set it to music (all right, it was for the B flat horn solo).

You CAN use your horn at A N Y time!!!!! " ... You MUST NOT use your horn ... except when another road user poses a danger" (Capitals, red ink, bold and italics all as printed in Code, Clause 112)

So, that's the definitive ruling on this one!

You are of course correct, however if I may be pedantic, the ruling comes from the Road Vehicles (Constructions and Use) Regulations 1986, Clause 99, as noted in the footer of the Highway Code 'Rule' 112.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/99/made

99.""”(1)Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is""”
<a ="LegAnchorID" id="regulation-99-1-a" style="line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb0, 102, 153; font-family: arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"></a>(a)stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or<a ="LegAnchorID" id="regulation-99-1-b" style="line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb0, 102, 153; font-family: arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;"></a>(b)in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.



The only reason I added that in, is because the Highway Code itself is not a legal document, contrary to popular belief, it's merely a 'Best Practices Guide'. There are certainly a number of 'Rules' within the HC that are reinforced by Law, and as such will have the relevant Legislation noted at the end of the 'Rule'. However, if no Legislation is noted with a 'Rule', it is not legally enforceable, and is merely a guide for the responsible driver.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Thanks for that Dan. Can we now accept that this is the "definitive ruling on this one"? and not as Peter suggests. Certainly GOV.UK as updated on 30th May 2013 would suggest it is. ����
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
So... between 11.30 and 7.30, can you use your horn if in danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
According to GOV.UK

You MUST NOT use your horn

. While stationary on the road

. when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger. Law CUR reg 99


However I am no expert and someone else might disagree with this!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
According to GOV.UK

You MUST NOT use your horn

. While stationary on the road

. when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger. Law CUR reg 99


However I am no expert and someone else might disagree with this!!

Nothing to disagree with, the GOV.UK website quotes from the Legislation I posted above. That's what the Law CUR reg 99 means, Constructions and Use Regulations clause 99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
Beevee said:
It is also illegal to sound your horn in a built up area between 11.30 pm and 7.30 am !! The same applies to barking dogs !! �•
Can barking dogs sound horns !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
All that legislation is all very well but if a thumping great Audi or Merc is bearing down on me, I shall switch on and give him/her a suitable and prolonged blast on the twin tones!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Just to add that my (wife's) High Up!'s horn sounds very loud. Satisfyingly loud in fact and I was glad of this when, on our second day of ownership, a dozy ermmm... person... in another car tried to side swipe Zoomie off the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I agree. The High Up!'s horn is quality. Best I've had on many a car.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top