Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a lot of reviews complimenting the engine, whilst other reviews seem to think its a little breathless...!

How are the current owners of the up finding the engine? Is overtaking on national speed limit roads terrorfying and do you need to put your foot down to get it lurching out of 1st gear and up hills!?

Also, how does it handle slower speeds in high gear, will we be cruising through town traffic in 4th or is it just gagging to cough and splutter as soon as the revs come down?

Post your experiences!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Lovejimbo said:
Seen a lot of reviews complimenting the engine, whilst other reviews seem to think its a little breathless...!

How are the current owners of the up finding the engine? Is overtaking on national speed limit roads terrorfying and do you need to put your foot down to get it lurching out of 1st gear and up hills!?

Also, how does it handle slower speeds in high gear, will we be cruising through town traffic in 4th or is it just gagging to cough and splutter as soon as the revs come down?

Post your experiences!
It is very very good. I've found myself on a A/B road, with a car or two ahead, dawdling at 40-50mph, and when I drop into third gear, the acceleration is surprisingly good, and smooth, easily enough to get me safely past. I have not felt as if I have to unfurl the sails, or pedal. Much better than my old Ford Ka. It makes a nice growling noise too.

It handles high gears at low speed very well too. At just over 30 mph it usually 'orders' me to use 5th. I tend to wait until I hit 40mph before using 5th, and it is fine, but you don't get much acceleration, of course. Still, you can use 5'th to cruise, then when you need control, drop down to 4th, or lower as needs be.

It does not have issues with hills. In fact if you have momentum, then you can use 4'th or 5'th, but lose that momentum, and you'll need to drop down.

This is no sports car, and many people will think it gutless. But at low speeds the engine is rather perky and responsive, and at higher speeds you need to work the gears, albeit at the cost of economy. I'm a sedate driver, so I tend not to rev it, except when overtaking for the sake of safety.

I am very impressed by this little car. Much much nicer than the base spec Fiesta I had on loan, but not as comfortable as a VW Polo 1.2 TSI, but better to drive except on motorways.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am quite surprised by how responsive the Up engine is - it is eager to pull away and quiet at speed. I agree with Leif that you have to keep the revs up in the higher gears and, if you don't, that 'chattering' sound can be heard (time to change down).

I've tried following the gear shift indicators and, over one part of my journey to work, managed to get an instantaneous 94mpg registering on the Maps & More readout. I don't think it's possible to change in to 5th gear though, at 30mph, if there is any kind of incline.

In general, adjust your driving 'style' to suit the car and you will make smooth, unruffled progress.
Edited by: luckyjimmy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts