Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we are to believe that a record level of snow is to fall, as we enter into Winter, I'd be interested to hear accounts from other owners, who drove their Up! throughout last Winter's snowy conditions; chiefly, regarding the vehicle's handling characteristics.

Both the A4 and Toldeo, that I've previously owned, benefitted from the option of disabling the ESP, as recommended by the driver's manual, when driving in snowy conditions.

However, The Up! doesn't appear to benefit from such an option, hence the reason for my question.

Has the ESP programme, offered by VAG, evolved to an extent that there is simply no need to disable the function or is there still a way to temporarily disable it?

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
727 Posts
Miserable Git said:
Both the A4 and Toldeo, that I've previously owned, benefitted from the option of disabling the ESP, as recommended by the driver's manual, when driving in snowy conditions.

???

But isn't that the whole point of ESP...?

[TUBE]NiZjeeMExY4[/TUBE]

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought it was the ABS you were supposed to switch off in deep snow.

·
Registered
467 Posts
UpMan said:
I thought it was the ABS you were supposed to switch off in deep snow.
I think You mean ASR, so brakes are not blocked electronically. But ok, ASR is a part of ABS

ESP should be turned off if You want to do funny stuff with Your car in the winter.
I like that Up has manual handbrake lever, not electronic, like bigger cars do - more fun in winter

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Snowy weather seems to be the start of a silly season when foolhardy drivers can't wait to go out and deliberately put their cars in a skid. I must admit to doing just that the first year after passing my test. Having grown up I realise how stupid it is to put myself and others into dangerous situations. Now that I have retired I am pleased to be able to stay off the road as much as possible in bad weather. Last winter I found the Up! to be very stable in poor conditions especially with ESP and ABS.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm trying to get ready for winter every year on a frozen lake or other closed territory which has snow/ ice road surface to see (remember) how car brakes, turns and goes sideways in critical situations. With this I'm prepared much better for the winter conditions than others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exactly b82ry - practice makes perfect as they say. How fantastic to have a frozen lake to play on. Sadly, I saw many drivers caught out by the conditions last year here in the UK. They ending up with bady damaged cars and destroyed other people's property because of incompetence. I'm sure that they too would have benefitted from some practice because I'd imagine that some hadn't even driven on snow or ice before.

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
My winter tyres were fabulous in the snow/slush....surefooted is the adjective I'd use

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Practise is one thing but turning off ESP to do "funny stuff" is unnecessary. Rather than practising how to control a skid it is better to learn to drive in a manner which avoids a skid in the first place. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
128 Posts
A long time ago (c1975)I had the valuable experience of using a skid pan at Crystal Palace. I learnt a lot in skid control that day which has come in very handy over the years in snow and ice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Always two sides to this discussion;

1. Prevention
2. Cure

1. is always the best way to reduce risk, but blindly beleiving that you can avoid needing the skills to correct a mistake is just as dangerous.

I would like to see a situation where insurers offered additional discounts to drivers who use winter tyres, rather than a former insurer who charged a premium as they classed them as a modification.

Being unable to cancel ESP is a silly silly move, as our Focus is unusable with it on when there is snow, without it driving up the hills away from my house is tricky but manageable.

Planning on a set of spare fronts with winter tyres in the next few weeks. Much like I will do for our 1.6TDCi Focus.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Beevee said:
Snowy weather seems to be the start of a silly season when foolhardy drivers can't wait to go out and deliberately put their cars in a skid. I must admit to doing just that the first year after passing my test. Having grown up I realise how stupid it is to put myself and others into dangerous situations. Now that I have retired I am pleased to be able to stay off the road as much as possible in bad weather. Last winter I found the Up! to be very stable in poor conditions especially with ESP and ABS.

Yep - me too - I remember putting my old Fiesta (W reg - and that's old W) into a 180 spin just to see what would happen. I was 17 - remind me why insurance for 17 year olds is so high ...

I've got a set of Nokian winter tyres on steel wheels for my Mii. They will probably get put on at the weekend if it's dry. i went out in some pretty bad snow (for southern England) last year and it was great - me and a handful of proper 4x4s were the only ones out there. I remember offering someone a lift (they were walking between villages) and they looked quite sceptical and then quite surprised when I set off up a snowy hill with no fuss.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh Great

Go well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mangham54 said:
Always two sides to this discussion;

1. Prevention
2. Cure

1. is always the best way to reduce risk, but blindly beleiving that you can avoid needing the skills to correct a mistake is just as dangerous.

I would like to see a situation where insurers offered additional discounts to drivers who use winter tyres, rather than a former insurer who charged a premium as they classed them as a modification.

Being unable to cancel ESP is a silly silly move, as our Focus is unusable with it on when there is snow, without it driving up the hills away from my house is tricky but manageable.

Planning on a set of spare fronts with winter tyres in the next few weeks. Much like I will do for our 1.6TDCi Focus.

Can you put them on the front only ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I understood that putting them on the front only could give some "interesting" handling problems - basically you have lots more grip on the front than the back and you are more likely to oversteer or even spin.

But that's just what I've read - not tried it in practice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was awesome in the now this past year - best by far of my three cars even with the Conti Contact 2 tires it came with. These are supposed to be summer tires but they have wide deep grooves. I have the 15" alloys on an otherwise fully loaded High Up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
uschnluk1 said:
Mine was awesome in the now this past year - best by far of my three cars even with the Conti Contact 2 tires it came with. These are supposed to be summer tires but they have wide deep grooves. I have the 15" alloys on an otherwise fully loaded High Up.
Good to hear uschnluk but let's hope we don't need to find out this year !
Unusual username !Edited by: Derkie54

1 - 18 of 18 Posts