Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am considering buying a new vw up! in the pearl white colour but am a a little nervous about ordering it in white in case it will gets dirty very easily and will need much more cleaning/ washing then the other colours. My cars have always been dark or black so it will be nice to have a different colour.

I will be really grateful if anyone with the white up! can let me if the car shows up all the dirt very easily/ hard to keep clean etc..

Many thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you should just go with the colour you want.

The reason I say this is, I have gone for a dark silver UP which I love very much, but it gets dirty anyway. The square back is prone to dirt.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My car is white but does not show the dirt as badly as my previous car, which was a pearl black colour. As others have mentioned though, the glass rear hatch is where you will see the dirt before it shows on the bodywork. From previous experience, silver seems to be the most resistant to showing the dirt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Red is best for hiding dirt but IMO white suits the Up best IMO, especially with the optional black alloys. I have owned several white cars (still have 2), and all I can say is whist it may show the dirt, it is the easiest to leather off as it does not show the leather streak marks like a dark colour.

Silver is good too, but whatever you do steer well clear of black. Yes it will look lovely the day you collect it, but it is downhill from then, as it will show every swirl mark when leathering off...and in the sunshine it will look awful.

I do not mean to offend any Black Up owners, but I have owned black cars in the past and have avoided ever since, although I do admit if you have the time to wax/polish after each washthey do look lovely.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
235 Posts
Most of the up! isn't too bad for showing the dirt - even my black one - if it wasn't for the rear hatch and bumper!

Not only does the back get dirty, but it sucks up everything from the road surface including tar etc. to the point that it needs polishing on a regular basis to remove the stuff that washing alone won't shift. The rear bumper on a white up! will keep you busy - even in dry weather!

With regard to swirl marks/scratches on black paint, I avoid using either a sponge or leather on mine. High-pressure wash to get the dirt off, hand wash with a lambswool wash-mit and wax wash, followd by a rinse with plain water. The car dries naturally in a few minutes with no swirl marks or fine scratches - but you'll need fairly soft water to avoid water marks.
Having seen the effects of using sponges and leathers on black cars in the past, I wouldn't use either on any colour of car these days. Todays water-based paints are far more prone to surface damage than in 'the good old days'.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Forgot to mention the water marks. Where I live the water is very hard - they do not show up on white but dark colours......a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
White is fine, and if you polish and wax it well, it looks incredible.
I'm so happy I went for white, I love it. The dirt is actually pretty well hidden too, contrary to popular belief. With a weekly maintenance wash, wax every 6 weeks or so, and a polish maybe quarterly, you'll be fine. Good quality products, some washing know how and a bit of patience and it'll stay looking awesome for years

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've got a white one and don't really have a problem. I was it every week with wash 'n' wax and it comes up a treat.

In my experience white is better at looking clean than darker colours, especially black - that's a colour to avoid for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I will hopefully be placing my order very soon! Can't wait...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had a black Golf Mk4 GTI and now I'm driving a white Up!.Golf was dirty in second day after car wash, but Up! looks clean even for a month after washing it (driving mainly in city)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts