Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two previous cars kicked the dust at about 10 years, albeit high mileage. The Ford Ka had about 140,000 miles on the clock, lots of miles on rough country lanes which was not good for it. And the body rusted badly. Both cars were expensive to run after 8 years due to servicing costs, issues such as damaged suspension etc. The Up has a 12 year body corrosion warranty, which bodes well. But assuming 20,000 miles a year, will this car get expensive after 100,000 miles? I'm wondering whether it is best to sell at 4 years, and buy a replacement car, maybe an Up, but who knows what will be on the market. It might work out the cheaper option.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Leif said:
My two previous cars kicked the dust at about 10 years, albeit high mileage. The Ford Ka had about 140,000 miles on the clock, lots of miles on rough country lanes which was not good for it. And the body rusted badly. Both cars were expensive to run after 8 years due to servicing costs, issues such as damaged suspension etc. The Up has a 12 year body corrosion warranty, which bodes well. But assuming 20,000 miles a year, will this car get expensive after 100,000 miles? I'm wondering whether it is best to sell at 4 years, and buy a replacement car, maybe an Up, but who knows what will be on the market. It might work out the cheaper option.
I weighed up buying an 08 reg Citreon C2 for £2.5K against a brand new up. I decided that over 3 years the up would be about the same on a PCP. So for me, I only need the up to last for 3 years!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think its very "swings and roundabouts" especially if you buy a car on finance over3 or4 years as once the payments have stopped you wouldhave to have some real bad luck not to be able to maintain it for less than the monthly payments were even with high miles.However, some people just enjoy a new car every few years which is fine but its not a very economical way of getting about. I've ordered a new UP which I'm loking forward to but my 7 year old Astra with high miles wasnt costing me a deal to run and would have lasted for much longer had I kept it by just replacing bits and bobs as and when.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rickenbacker said:
I've ordered a new UP which I'm loking forward to but my 7 year old Astra with high miles wasnt costing me a deal to run and would have lasted for much longer had I kept it by just replacing bits and bobs as and when.
Interesting. I paid cash, I always do, I don't like debt. I get the impression that small economic cars tend not to last long, or at least my Micra and Ka didn't, and I suspect a Ford Fiesta wouldn't. I like small cars, as they are easier to park, and cheap to run, and more fun to drive. I suspect higher end cars, such as a Merc A class, do last longer, but the initial cost is higher, and servicing and parts costs more.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My previous car an 06 reg with 103k was owned outright yet it was costing me loads simply because so much had worn out. New pads and disks all round, new cam belt due, new tyres all round. The final straw was when my garage said that they had never known a car go over 100k on a clutch and mine was still on its original. My lovely car became a time bomb and sadly had to go. I would therefore say that my up on a PCP would be cheaper than my previous car - owned outright - in my last year of its ownership!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AlanG said:
My previous car an 06 reg with 103k was owned outright yet it was costing me loads simply because so much had worn out. New pads and disks all round, new cam belt due, new tyres all round. The final straw was when my garage said that they had never known a car go over 100k on a clutch and mine was still on its original. My lovely car became a time bomb and sadly had to go. I would therefore say that my up on a PCP would be cheaper than my previous car - owned outright - in my last year of its ownership!
What make and model was that?

My Ford Ka did 140,000 on the same clutch. The only major costs were wheel bearings, and suspension fixes, due to bad roads. Oh, and rust.

I think clutch lifetime is a combination of use, motorways being best, and driving style. IAM instruction has I am sure helped my clutch control.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lets hope the UP!'s we are all investing in turn out to be reliable and sturdy little motors. I'm hoping to keep mine for a good few years to commute 30 miles a day. Tyres, brake parts and cambelts I can live with. Before my Astra which was great I owned a 2007 focus tdci, after 57000 miles it died. Basically the fuel pump began to break up and sent metal particles through fuel system including injectors. Cost to repair over £4000! Warranty not valid as blamed on fuel contamination (supermarket fuel)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Leif said:
What make and model was that?

My Ford Ka did 140,000 on the same clutch. The only major costs were wheel bearings, and suspension fixes, due to bad roads. Oh, and rust.

I think clutch lifetime is a combination of use, motorways being best, and driving style. IAM instruction has I am sure helped my clutch control.
I had a Peugeot 307 SW 110 HDI in metallic black owned as a nearly new with 8k miles. The engine was smooth, powerful and economical. Most of the miles were on the motorway and I have to say the clutch was working perfectly - no sign of any slippage. It sounds from your experiences then that I might well have had many more great miles in that car. Shame.........

·
Registered
532 Posts
My FIAT uno 1986 was one ofthe first fire engines. The only reason the car stopped was due to it being written off. The engine had done 205,000 miles and was still going strong.

Run a modern car in properly and treat it nice and it will last miles. The engine has been designed to cope with over 100 hp and a turbo charger.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree... It's quite a simple/primitive engine by today's standards, so that should help it last well hopefully!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is still going at 71,000 miles (114,000km). Managed to do 52,000 miles in 18 months flying around South Wales up and down mountains and a lot of motorway driving etc, including a trip to Andorra from Wales. Seems alright, few little rattles and squeaks.

Main problem I have is that the garage can't get the spark plugs out to change them because the rubber collars have fused to the head of the engine. Stupid design if you ask me!

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you rely on dealers to repair and maintain your car I'd say just about anything becomes economically unviable by 10 years old. Mileage isn't a big deal if you are sympathetic and carry out routine maintenance imho.

If you make use of forums, independents and are able to complete basic tasks yourself there's no reason an UP won't last way longer.

I have 2 other cars, a MB G Wagen on 270k miles and a VW T4 on 230k miles. I have no reason to doubt they will do 500k+

Having said all that manufactures only need to support spares up to 10 years. They are starting to act on this, some 2006 cars have no availability on say ecu's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks Ed463.
I've just bought from a neighbour a 54 plate Suzuki Wagon R auto. Runs well, but even with Suzuki's (japanese) legendary reliability I've had to replace driver's door window switch unit (fatigued plastic) and the wiper motor (blew fuse in use. Turned out rivets holding electrical contacts on to rotor wheel had failed causing short. Used plastic ties to secure but too risky as permanent solution). Searched for a used motor but none available so new motor (made in Hungary) cost £215 + diagnosis/fitting £50.

Recently I've noticed several W reg cars (a Ford Fiesta a Vauxhall Agila and an Astra) driving around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts