Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering this video, I would like to know

[TUBE]0bxzU1HFC7Q[/TUBE]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My experience of small cars is that they last 10 years, but really at 8 or 9 years they get expensive to maintain. Rust sets in at 10 years and major components fail, such as the suspension, or ECU. Obviously if you only do 5000 miles year, and avoid salted roads, it'll last longer. Road salt is a killer. I'm not sure that film applies to cars. The components undergo a tough life, and a lot of people sell them after a few years anyway, as they are seen to be objects of desire, status symbols etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mmm interesting argument.... Planned obsolescence. Making items last a shorter time so you have to buy another....

If it goes wrong quick would I buy another from the same manufacturer... I don't think so, but would I want that 25 year old tv when there is 3d dolby digital wide flat screen tv around now.

Car obsolescence is good, in that the more efficient, cleaner running, lighter, safer and much better designed cars replace older not so efficient cars. Yes there are classics that are kept to remind us of the design milestones, but I wouldn't want to be cranking the handle to get my car started every morning would you?

It does get very stupid when it cheaper to buy a new printer for your PC than to replace the ink cartridges... That is built in obsolescence taken to its extreme... And actually damages the environment.

Our economy is built on growth which means us buying more and more stuff, replace the other stuff we have faster and faster. Unfortunately when we get in a reccesion (thank you banks, give yourselves another big bonus for that) the first thing that happens is that people, either by not having access to such easy credit/ loans, or by being fearful of losing their job, stop spending and buying stuff and other stuff and even more stuff. This in turn stops growth and deepens the recession further.... Then you get in a vicious circle, no growth = less spending = less growth etc, which is where we are now...

We have all done (or are going to do out bit) to boost the economy by buying a new car.... We are trying to help!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
But we are also downsizing ....more economical cars = more disposable income = more purchases = lower tax ratio for the government.......

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great explanation of our economy: simple, clear and concise! I have copied it into my iPad notes for future plagiarism! Don't be shy about sharing any more wisdom with us

·
Registered
587 Posts
I climate is very tough on cars one of the worst for rust and then the salt on our roads mixed with water is as corrosive as acid. I say 10 years as well.

As for the economy VAT should have never gone to 20% really and should have been put down at the least for the summer possibly longer to give us all a little more spending power and bring cost's down. But hey that would be common sense and it is not as if the more people buy the more VAT that goes back into the system anyhow just like fuel........

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Good point about better economy. My Ford Ka cost at least £500 a year to service and MOT (two services needed), often more, and fuel costs were £2700 per year for current work place, assuming 45mpg which I averaged. VW Up has £300 service for first 30K miles, no MOT for 3 years, and fuel costs of £1900 per year, assuming 63mpg, and I currently get 65mpg. So even ignoring increased servicing costs for the Ka (welding, suspension fixes etc), the Up pays for itself in just over 6 years. And by then perhaps cars will do 20% better mpg?

It is frightening that cars cost at least £3,000 a year including fuel (in my case), and that is AFTER tax, so my salary is hit to the tune of £5,000 a year. Oh and most of the fuel cost is tax. Kerching, someone is <strike>bleeding away</strike> making a lot of money from me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If VW wanted the car to last for ever, they would make it from aluminium give it a diesel engine and have very strict service schedules.. oh wait. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A8#Third_generation_.28D4.2C_Typ_4H.3B_2009.E2.80.93present.29

It does depend how you use it. if you take a car that has done 100k of town driving, its going to be a mess inside the engine compared to a car that has done 100k of motorway driving

Service/wear items aside like tyres, brakes/pads, wheel bearings, shocks/springs, hydraulic actucator seals (brake caliper, slave cylinder(s)), and road salt (ban it!), and replacing the engine (budget £3k for a crate up! engine every 200k miles) it should last forever.

CAD/CAM design has improved enormously in the past 10 years. This translates into lower cost as new designs can be realised with less material, and less material means less weight and better economy. I wouldnt worry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts