Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you plan to keep the up! and why?

Is it your main car?

Just curious... and trying to persuade myself of the economics of buying a nearly new car :)Edited by: venusinfurs

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I plan to keep the up! 10 years ...

Yes, it's my main (only) car - besides two motorbikes ...

I have always bought new cars (so that I make and know about all mistakes).
Selling a new car after one year is like buring money. It doesn't hurt so much after three years - but it payed well after 7 to 10 years ...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
When I bought mine there were no used Ups available. I kept my Ford ka for 10 years, which was too long as it got expensive to repair. I will keep the Up until servicing costs increase noticeably. I tend to run cars into the ground, not through abuse, but mileage. Small cars tend not to last that long. So I think it will last at least 7 years. I'd be happy with 7 years.

I recently saw 1 year old Ups and Citigos on ebay for £4500+. If they drive okay, then that is a bargain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In the past, I've taken nearly new/used vehicles on HP agreements but after the problems I experienced with a Seat Toledo, where the warranty offered by the selling dealership, only paid half towards the renewal of a new steering column, my last two vehicles have been taken on PCP agreements.

I guess the beauty of PCP affords you the following:

The option of changing the vehicle every 24-36 months, without placing down a huge a deposit particularly since manufacturers, more often than not, offer deposit contributions in addition to free insurance;

Reasonably priced monthly payments, since the dealership guarantee a future value at the end of the agreement;

The security of a full manufacturer's warranty; and

Fixed price service agreements for the lifetime of ownership, the price of which can always been haggled over.

With regard to your question as to how long I expect to keep my UP! I intend to upgrade to the new Polo, once my PCP agreement is no longer in negative equity.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
21 Posts
I plan in keeping mine for the next 4 years as a minimum (that way it'll have seen me through law school and becoming a qualified solicitor) then depending on my financial situation I may upgrade. But tbh I could see myself just upgrading to an up gt or something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am going to keep it until next September which is the end of the Finance agreement and then either get the UP GT if it goes into production or step up to a Polo. As I need a bit more power with all the hills round my way.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
will keep it until one of my boys wants it....Oldest has passed his test but doesn't need to drive being at university. so I reckon it will end its days being passed down the family.....when one of the boys (I have 3) wants it, I'll get something else...maybe a GT if out , maybe a polo or maybe something daft like a golf cab or similar

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I reckon after 100,000 miles it will owe me nowt and anything more is a bonus...thats 4 yrs to me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts