Up Owners Club banner

201 - 220 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Personally l hope they do re introduce the Up GTi.
Maybe with sports seats and a bit more power, and rear discs (although it doesn’t need them, it would look better)
Let’s wait and see if the rumours of it coming back have any substance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like some of the Car Salesman that keep forcing me to reconsider to go for a Standard GTI with no options. Sorry but Beats make a difference. I've tried both & With the type of Music I listen to, Deep bass (Drake, Billie Ellish etc) You can really hear the sound difference. Plus my commute will be 1 Hour each way when I plan on using the car. That's a lot of Driving sometimes in traffic etc.

Regarding other options Cruise & Park are desired & Not necessarily essential however convenient. Panoramic Sunroom would be amazing considering I've Just moved on from a Convertible BMW however I'm not going to break the bank for it.

Utter rubbish my friend
Ive learnt to my cost, that ordering a new car with the upgraded sound system, is money down the drain.
I blew £1600 on the Bose sound system on my Audi A1, and the system was utter rubbish.

The car would simply not hold onto a DAB signal, and even though the sound, when you could hear it, was sublime, the radio interference, was one of the poorest ive ever owned in any car.
The reception on both my Ups is remarkable, once your tuned into a DAB station, that signal is maintained until you tune into another station, and the sound is crystal clear and more than adequate considering the budget nature of the car.

On listening to the Beats system last year, it was nothing special to warrant the extra expense, had i ordered my car from the factory.

The only option i would have gone for had i ordered my car from the factory, was the cruise control, thats a useful function on longer journeys and a thing i miss in both my Ups.

Ive had full electric sunroofs, fancy sound systems and climatic A/C on my Audi, and barely used any of them, they look nice, but the electric sunroof needs regular maintenance, and occasionally it stuck in the open position.

Its controlled by several motors, and even though its very high quality, its high maintenance as well, as the grease used to lubricate the sliding mechanism attracted dust and grit like nobody's business, and the roof used to stick open in various positions now and again.

You had to manually force it back into the closed position using gentle force, which is not something your supposed to do with an electric roof.

A high quality manual opening sunroof is the better option, but as with all technology, electric sounds better, but their a pig when they play up, and theres no manual override, if the roof gets stuck, that in my opinion, is a big error on Vws part.

A good idea i thought when ordering my new Audi, but it was £2753 i should have kept in my bank account.

I do not miss any of the options on my Gti, ive had them all on a previous car, and found i hardly used any of them, and maintaining the smooth running of the sunroof was a real headache.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The way I see it, is that I've spent thousands on expensive extras on two of my previous cars, and during ownership, barely used any of them.
When configuring a new car in the dealership, your almost pressurised into ordering a few options, it's how they make their money.

The Climatic A/C on the A1 looked stunning, and was taken straight from their R8, and was decent value at £215.

The Bose sound system on the other hand was a disaster, as the radio reception was a joke, and £1600 down the drain, and I now know why.

A car fitted with the panoramic roof, has to do away with the roof ariel, and make do with it fitted into the rear screen, resulting in downright useless radio reception.

I do not know if that's true with the Up fitted with the similar roof, but £1600 on a multi speaker sound system was an expensive error.

in hind sight, I am so glad I went for a total standard car, as had I ordered a new factory one, I would never had seen it, with production finishing a few weeks after I took delivery of mine at the end of March.

The only option I do miss, is cruise control, but each to their own, the sunroof and upgraded sound system are personal choice, and I was not making the same mistake twice, by refusing to buy a car with out them.

My Gti is not a daily car, so over spending on options, that add little value when you come to sell it, seems a bit pointless, I've gone down that route too many times, and I've come to my senses.
Hopefully the Gti will be with me for some time, but who knows, something else may appear in the future, and another amazing p/x deal will be offered, but I doubt the value of the car will be good enough to warrant a change, £9125 for a car only 8 months old, that's heavy depreciation, even by city car standards.

The money I've saved has been spent on options I do want, such as the Bilsteins and OZ wheels.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If the Beats Audio system is a deal breaker, but you can’t find a GTi with it fitted, why not buy one without it fitted and then just put a subwoofer in the spare wheel well.
The standard system is very good and it’s really only the spare wheel well subwoofer that sets the Beats Audio version apart.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If the Beats Audio system is a deal breaker, but you can’t find a GTi with it fitted, why not buy one without it fitted and then just put a subwoofer in the spare wheel well.
The standard system is very good and it’s really only the spare wheel well subwoofer that sets the Beats Audio version apart.
The Beats has an amplifier under the drivers seat, and this provides much more bass to the front door speakers. I would imagine the treble and mid range would be boosted also.
But the bass levels from the speakers are what I notice most. The boot subwoofer is very underwhelming, I have removed ours and put in full size spare wheels in the boot spaces.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The subwoofer l posted a link to has a built in 300w amplifier

There’s nothing wrong with the standard six speaker system all it needs is a sub for better bass.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The subwoofer l posted a link to has a built in 300w amplifier

There’s nothing wrong with the standard six speaker system all it needs is a sub for better bass.
Sorry you are mistaken. The subwoofer you listed does not have a built in amplifier, it is a separate unit. Also, the improved bass comes mainly from the amplifier, not the subwoofer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well according to an article in this months Autocar magazine, Vw will be launching a all new Up model for the 2020 range, and amongst that model range will be a new Up Gti.
If this is true, then there's little to be concerned about with the current UN Climate Change Conference, who are speaking DOOM AND GLOOM, with global warming not a threat, but beyond repair, the World is indeed stuffed, so a brand new petrol range of citycar, definitely on the cards for next year.

Why then the fuss, with diesel and petrol vehicles, being the cars of Satan.
There's no need to buy a totally useless and overpriced Electric car, with its poor range, Vw are investing heavily in petrol technology OR ARE THEY ?

A reader in the mag, was upset that VW had pulled the plug on the Gti so soon, he was desperate to buy one, but had been told by his main dealer, the car was out of production, so he went away disappointed, but according to Autocar, an entire new model range is being launched next year, with no doubt a hike in the asking price.

It looks like the Italians are getting a bargain, with the Up Gti selling for over £17,000 before options, and guaranteed if that car is reintroduced back into the Uk, it will have to cost the 20,000Euro or £17,000, and being a right hand model, probably more.

If the Youtube video, showing the all new 2020 VW UP GTi is to be believed, there's nothing new about it at all, the video shows exactly the same car, same wheels, same interior and exterior spec, but being sold at not bargain price money.

Either way, both my current cars are not going anywhere, and if a new Gti is arriving, rest assured, Vw will not make the same mistake and undervalue it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Why then the fuss, with diesel and petrol vehicles, being the cars of Satan.
There's no need to buy a totally useless and overpriced Electric car, with its poor range, Vw are investing heavily in petrol technology OR ARE THEY ?
Because they're using a finite and polluting energy source, seems fairly simple to me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Because they're using a finite and polluting energy source, seems fairly simple to me.
But surely Lithium - ion is a finite and polluting energy source too ?
See https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/lithium-ion-battery-production-is-surging-but-at-what-cost
And :-

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
But surely Lithium - ion is a finite and polluting energy source too ?
See https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/lithium-ion-battery-production-is-surging-but-at-what-cost
And :-
Absolutely, just shifting the problem.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nobody has really told the public, just what happens to the extinguished electric car battery's.
With electric cars still taking up, a tiny % of car sales, in relation to most of the European market, the removal and disposal of corrosive batteries, is still in its infancy, its manageable, and under control.
It is not really harming the environment that much, but look into the future, when the petrol & diesel vehicles, are things only seen in museums, and there are millions of these electric cars around.

Then the environmental damage will be significant.
No doubt China and India will be asked to recycle them, but I feel guilty, as it will not be my problem, i will be probably in a nursing home dribbling away, but it will be someones problem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
There’s plenty of nearly new ones at well under list price if you ignore the VW dealer adverts.
Anybody who wants one can get one for around £12,000

I’m not sure the Up GTi was “undervalued”
It wasn’t a true GTi but a great little car nevertheless.
If they put the price closer to £20,000 without making into a “full fat” GTi then it will l think then be overpriced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No doubt China and India will be asked to recycle them, but I feel guilty, as it will not be my problem,
No need to feel guilty. Tesla recycle their batteries in the USA. VW are setting up battery recycling in Germany. But China is by far the largest EV market so no doubt they will be doing some recycling too.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
An electric Up GTi would be an interesting option.
I don’t think anybody currently does an electric “GTi”
I wonder if it would work. I’ve driven the E-Up and initial acceleration at least leaves most small cars for dead. I’m sure a fair bit more power could be obtained fairly easily, but the E-Up range of 60-90 miles would need to improve a fair bit.

l didn’t really get a chance to test the handling of the car but in town driving it just felt like my Up GTi except with a more forgiving ride quality.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The only issues with an all Electric Gti, would be lack of sound from under its small bonnet, probably no driving thrills such as being able to go through the gears, or holding onto one, and redlining the engine.
If Vw dare bring an all Electric Gti to the Uk market, you can guarantee it will be a costly little thing, probably very fast as well, with instant acceleration from the accelerator.

That will be it, no driving thrills, no involving sound.
Everytime i think of an electric vehicle, the 1971 Steve McQueen film "Le Man" always springs to mind.

The sequence in the film that conveys noise, power, acceleration, performance, is when car no 25 the LanHeck Porsche 917 having left every other car in the race, including the slightly slower Gulf Porsche 917s, in its wake.

It turns the corner approaching the pit straight, and the power and noise is remarkable, one of the finest car sequences in any movie,
That raw power and noise is only made by a petrol engine, and if Vw bring an Electric Gti to our shores, i will be the last in the queue to order one.

Electric cars are as exciting as a visit to the dentist.

They lack all driving involvement, B road thrills, slick gear changes, loud bark from the non resonated Milltek, the list is almost endless.

I can only thank my lucky stars, that by the time Electric cars are adopted by everyone, and the full infrastructure to run them is up and running, i will be too old to drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
News is the Up! GTI will be back in production and available in the UK in first quarter of 2020 - From a reliable source at VW UK

201 - 220 of 302 Posts