Up Owners Club banner

461 - 480 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I missed out last time and am sorely tempted to order problem is I’ve literally just got rid of my Mini Cooper and bought a seat mii as I missed having an up.

are there any brokers listing carwow doesn’t seem to have them ?

also I’d sooner get delivery later on around august time can you defer delivery if I pay deposit

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
As for the welsh person, ignore him, he just likes to waffle about how much money he's spent.
Really ???
Yes, really. Every post is laced with "when i bought my well specced" or "after spending all this on this", boring. Offer advice, that's fine but we really don't need the bragging about what you've spent on when it has no relevance.

I.E: I know that's how i felt, when blowing the bank on my well specked Audi A1, i realised i was probably overspending on certain options, but you eventually forget about the money, when your behind the wheel of the car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I pop on this site everyday for a minute or two and there's always someone having a dig at someone else, not exactly friendly on a site for like-minded owners.
That's because there's some people like myself that are sick of people stating things like they're fact without the proper amount of research or knowledge first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's because there's some people like myself that are sick of people stating things like they're fact without the proper amount of research or knowledge first.

Just ignore it then rather than highlight it.

I am not agreeing with the knowledge or lack off but people will work things out for themselves

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just ignore it then rather than highlight it.

I am not agreeing with the knowledge or lack off but people will work things out for themselves
Sorry, not in my nature. People come to forums to look for information and if what's being presented to them is wrong then it needs to be pointed out.

E.G: someone on the boxster forum came up with this piece of brilliance for a diy oil change:
I do mine just on rear ramps but do in a slight incline so car is about level. An oil change will always leave some in the engine and oil lines so it’s just a case of how much you miss.
Maybe drain oil on ramps until it stops then put some cloths down and drive off the ramps, let additional small amount drip out then back up to put plug back in etc?

As you can imagine he got corrected about driving a car with no oil in it for ANY amount of time. If he hadn't been then someone could have seen that, done the same and blown their engine to bits because they starved it of oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry, not in my nature. People come to forums to look for information and if what's being presented to them is wrong then it needs to be pointed out.

E.G: someone on the boxster forum came up with this piece of brilliance for a diy oil change:
I do mine just on rear ramps but do in a slight incline so car is about level. An oil change will always leave some in the engine and oil lines so it’s just a case of how much you miss.
Maybe drain oil on ramps until it stops then put some cloths down and drive off the ramps, let additional small amount drip out then back up to put plug back in etc?

As you can imagine he got corrected about driving a car with no oil in it for ANY amount of time. If he hadn't been then someone could have seen that, done the same and blown their engine to bits because they starved it of oil.
Agreed on factual and mechanical info but ignore the money and unimportant stuff which you also highlight, then the real stuff gets what it deserves and the rubbish is just forgotten about..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Agreed on factual and mechanical info but ignore the money and unimportant stuff which you also highlight, then the real stuff gets what it deserves and the rubbish is just forgotten about..
Good point and one i shall take on board.

(Now if we could just get people to stop being like the Daily Mail and mentioning their wealth then that would be great)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just had a look on AutoTrader and Crewe VW have a 3 door GTI in white for March delivery at £16240.

·
Banned
645 Posts
It will be interesting to see how many display vehicles arrive in dealers showrooms, in the next few weeks.
They will really struggle to sell any at this new price.
Basic as they maybe, your now talking brand new base model Vw Polo money, with one or two nice options.

Who is going to buy a Vw Up, a very old model in the Vw range, when £16240 gets you behind the wheel of a standard Polo SE.

A much bigger car i know, but the Up Gti now looks extremely poor value for money, and how many potential customers in a showroom, would want the Polo over the ageing Up.

A price the wrong side of £16,000 puts the UP Gti into perspective, few people would choose an ageing model over the latest Polo.

I know the Polo is a much larger car, maybe too large for some peoples needs, but its the latest technology, when the Up is so dated in comparison.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I can only guess you’ve never driven a base Polo. Utterly terrible cars, awfully slow, and basically not comparable to the up! GTI in any way whatsoever.

Reactions: 911ts3

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can only guess you’ve never driven a base Polo. Utterly terrible cars, awfully slow, and basically not comparable to the up! GTI in any way whatsoever.
Couldn't agree more. I was lent a few basic Polos while my car was going through all that fuss with the rear shocks and they were utterly wooden, turgid, horrible things. Even if they were half the price of an Up GTI I wouldn't have given them a second look. There is more to deciding on buying a car than just price.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hear, hear. We bought our first High Up 75bhp for the wife after having a go in a Polo SE. The Up seemed to have more space, and a much better all-round drivers car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I was lent a few basic Polos while my car was going through all that fuss with the rear shocks and they were utterly wooden, turgid, horrible things. Even if they were half the price of an Up GTI I wouldn't have given them a second look. There is more to deciding on buying a car than just price.
We had a 2012 Polo Match with the basic 60hp 1.2
The car was alright, it wasn’t fast but was good enough.
When we were looking at the Up GTi we also looked at the new Polo 1.0 base model
And it was poor. Despite having the same BHP (as our 2012 Polo) it was just too slow and dull to drive.
The 2012 one was better, and l would have another.
I think you need an engine with a turbo in the new Polo.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Was that for a base model with no extras ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think prospective buyers are more concerned about pcp monthly payments nowadays rather than actual price of the car. Yes it's slightly more expensive than previous GTI but still an absolute bargain if you go for 3 or 4 year pcp deal.

·
Banned
645 Posts
I've just checked OrangeWheels, and a brand new factory order standard 3dr Tornado Red Gti, no options from VW Sheffield, a very impressive £14795

PCP finance deals can also be arranged through the same dealer.
I almost used OrangeWheels five years ago, and the thing I liked most about them, was that they put you in contact with a VW dealership who is guaranteeing a genuine customer, a sizeable discount on the Up Gti of their choice.

There's no catch, and your not buying the car from an Internet dealership, but a VW dealership somewhere in the Uk.

You may have to travel a bit, if the dealership is not close to home, but £14795 is a huge saving over the advertised £15895

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've just checked OrangeWheels, and a brand new factory order standard 3dr Tornado Red Gti, no options from VW Sheffield, a very impressive £14795

PCP finance deals can also be arranged through the same dealer.
I almost used OrangeWheels five years ago, and the thing I liked most about them, was that they put you in contact with a VW dealership who is guaranteeing a genuine customer, a sizeable discount on the Up Gti of their choice.

There's no catch, and your not buying the car from an Internet dealership, but a VW dealership somewhere in the Uk.

You may have to travel a bit, if the dealership is not close to home, but £14795 is a huge saving over the advertised £15895
I ordered mine from VW Sheffield via Carwow (same business model as Orange Wheels), and even back in February 2018 they were most competitive on price. I think that's basically because they are a large franchise and they can spread their Carwow business over several sites. I wouldn't say it was the best dealership experience, but you can't argue with their discounts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It’s still a fairly heavy price increase, over £15,000 for the basic three door.

Last year people on here were buying them for £13,000 and some managed to buy for even less than that.

Our five door with panoramic sunroof and cruise/park cost £14,000.

So that’s a price increase of £3,000, around 20% for exactly the same car! I’ve never known manufacturer impose such a price increase on a car of this type, and surprisingly the motoring press have barely mentioned it.

461 - 480 of 481 Posts