Up Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
There should be a financial reason to buy an electric car, and any city car whose price is north of £20k is reason enough not to buy one.
You might need a financial incentive but others might be motivated by environmental reasons, or simply because they want to be part of the experiment, or because driving an electric city car saves them a huge amount of money avoiding congestion charges. It’s not all black and white, and just because you don’t see value for money in something doesn’t mean other won’t. Just need to open your mind a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Interested to hear what your dealer comes back with. One of the ones where I'm is expecting an up GTI announcement in December-January. Whether or not it will actually happen is another matter.
Hello, I went to the dealer and got an offer for the "new" 2020 Up GTI for the italian market, he told me it deliveries should be 100 days from order (so February or so).
List price is 20.400 🙀(but there's currently a 2k discount from VW, from there you start negotiating...). Realistic street price here should be 17.5-18k euros including all taxes and the like.
Which is quite a lot.
Now it seems you have what they call "Park pilot" (not sure if that only refers to back sensors already available...) and automatic Lane assist.
Sure thing is the optional sunroof is not available anymore (at least as of today specs).
Rear camera is standard now (useless I would say)
Now you have only Beats audio as an option to choose from.
Obviuosly have no idea if they improved anything under the hood not immediately visibile.
I am still thinking about it, this is surely going to be the last chance, ot waiting for the upcoming Yaris GR-4...
Ciao
Carlo
EDIT: heated seats and passenger adjustable height seat are included in the price, so the only missing option compared to previous GTI configiration is sunroof, the black roof is not available either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I went to the dealer and got an offer for the "new" 2020 Up GTI for the italian market, he told me it deliveries should be 100 days from order (so February or so).
List price is 20.400 🙀(but there's currently a 2k discount from VW, from there you start negotiating...). Realistic street price here should be 17.5-18k euros including all taxes and the like.
Which is quite a lot.
Now it seems you have what they call "Park pilot" (not sure if that only refers to back sensors already available...) and automatic Lane assist.
Sure thing is the optional sunroof is not available anymore (at least as of today specs).
Rear camera is standard now (useless I would say)
Now you have only Beats audio as an option to choose from.
Obviuosly have no idea if they improved anything under the hood not immediately visibile.
I am still thinking about it, this is surely going to be the last chance, ot waiting for the upcoming Yaris GR-4...
Ciao
Carlo
EDIT: heated seats and passenger adjustable height seat are included in the price, so the only missing option compared to previous GTI configiration is sunroof, the black roof is not available either.
Very helpful to know! Thank you!

Glad more options as It seems are standard which make sense for the inflated price considering the Car will be more expensive. Shame for those that choose the bog standard car for price reasons of course but better for those like me who want a fully spec'd car for not much more money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All
I have an interest in this thread as I too am hoping VW continue manufacturing the UP GTi, noticed an article today on Car Magazines website that mentions it will happen.
I can't post a link as this is my first post on the forum.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought VW had stopped all production of its petrol derived city cars, wanting to concentrate on the future electric market.
Ive just checked the Italian website, and it looks like the Gti is still available for order, in all its colour schemes including factory options.

The only problem, is that we know Vw have stopped all production of the TSi engine, for the Uk at least, so if production of the Gti is to recommence, it will not be for the Uk market.
Just look at the advertised price, of 20,000Euro, before the addition of nice toys.

It makes my Gti somewhat of a total steal and bargain of the year.

I have checked out so many of the motoring related websites, in relation to Vw and its products, and there is simply no mention of any new Vw Up next year.

The only Vw Up that appears to be in production, is the E Up, and the Uk website still has no new cars available for order.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The situation is confusing. VWs statements appear to confirm the Up will be electric only. I suppose we have to take them at their word, but several things don't make sense.

They say it is too difficult for small cars to meet future emission regulations. This doesn't seem logical - why would a small car which typically has the lowest emissions, struggle to meet future regulations?

Another issue which doesn't make sense is the Up factory currently produces at least 150,000 Ups, Miis and Citigos a year and only a small percentage are currently electric. How can the factory remain viable if it produces only electric Ups?

Finally, if non-electric city-cars are no longer viable then surely other manufacturers will have to stop making them too. I think I read Fiat intend to make the Fiat 500 electric only, which might confirm VWs approach. But no mention of the Panda. No news that Peugeot/Citroen/Toyota intend to end production of their city-car. No news Hyundai will stop making the i10 or Suzuki their city-car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The only problem, is that we know Vw have stopped all production of the TSi engine, for the Uk at least, so if production of the Gti is to recommence, it will not be for the Uk market.
No they haven't. What about all the other VAG group cars you can order right now in the UK with the same 1.0 3-cylinder TSI that is found in the GTI? Seat Ibiza FR, Audi A1, various Skoda cars...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Another issue which doesn't make sense is the Up factory currently produces at least 150,000 Ups, Miis and Citigos a year and only a small percentage are currently electric. How can the factory remain viable if it produces only electric Ups?
I'm guessing they also build lots of Audi Q7/Q8s, VW Touaregs, and Porsche Cayennes.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Fingers crossed they bring it back, seems almost like LLandudnoboy doesn't want it to happen for some odd reason?
Because then it won't be superceded by a new upgraded model and his residuals will be better if it stays as a limited run.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The so called residual value of my car, is a total joke of the highest order.
WEbuyANYcar ripoff merchants have valued my Gti at a laughable £9125.

The car has done only 2178 miles since March 30th, and has now been tucked away in the garage, for the winter months, no nasty winter salt for my little car, thank you.
Unlike other new cars ive bought in the past, the car has yet to receive any small paint chips, and in effect, its as clean as the day i took ownership nearly eight months ago.

If a main dealer got their hands on my car, it would probably be on their forecourt at close to, or above what i paid for it.
Thankfully the car is with me, for the long term, as i love driving it so much, so depreciation or future value does not come into it.

The conflicting second hand valuations, and actual prices similar cars are making when sold, are so strange, that i think the car valuers have little comprehension of the Gtis true worth.

If Webuyanycar, are using the market to gauge their valuations, then a car like mine, should be receiving offers of well over £10-11,000, to be sold on to dealers, who will advertise the car at some silly inflated price, knowing they will get a buyer quickly for it.

If the Up Gti is to make a return visit, and the Italian £17100 is a reflection on the new advertised price for 2020, then values for mint low mileage examples, can only go up, not down.

£9125, in their wildest dreams.

·
Registered
130 Posts
£9125?,My GTI with 1450 miles on the clock is valued at £8860 by WBAC.Where do they get these figures from?.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Fingers crossed they bring it back, seems almost like LLandudnoboy doesn't want it to happen for some odd reason?
He thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, and that the up! GTI is going to be a genuine collectors car worth many many times more than he paid for it. He even goes as far as to only drive his car when the weather has been independently verified by leading meteorologists as being the optimum conditions for efficiency and performance, whilst simultaneously checking the value of it on webuyanycar.

It's an utterly bizarre way to enjoy a cheap performance car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
He thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, and that the up! GTI is going to be a genuine collectors car worth many many times more than he paid for it. He even goes as far as to only drive his car when the weather has been independently verified by leading meteorologists as being the optimum conditions for efficiency and performance, whilst simultaneously checking the value of it on webuyanycar.

It's an utterly bizarre way to enjoy a cheap performance car.
Very odd, it's a great car but it's never going to worth much money as a collectors item.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Used valuations are still a joke. I would say as a private sale you should achieve £11-12,000
Dealer prices will of course be higher by £2-3,000 due to various reasons such as finance deals.
But why sell at all? Keep the car and enjoy it. At £14,000 new it was in a class of one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It boggles the mind that someone would keep theirs garaged and never drive it. Each owner to their own of course.

When I plan on getting mine I plan on using the car as a daily. The way It was designed to be. It's a designed for the B Roads & Tight small towns and most importantly to have fun in it.

It's a matter of time till It re-appears on the UK Site & I for one cannot wait!

·
Super Moderator
962 Posts
I've owned my GTI since April and have enjoyed the 11k miles I've put on her. The real value of a car is to enjoy it for what it is, if it goes up in value, that's a bonus, but only if you intend to sell it and someone is willing to pay what you want for it.

I didn't buy my Lupo GTI as a 'future classic', it genuinely puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. I get a similar experience with the Up GTI. MY Lupo is a keeper for me, the 1st car I honestly want to keep forever, the mileage doesn't matter to me as I know the car inside out. Having said that, I've not driven her since April! It's about time I gave her a little blast!

161 - 180 of 302 Posts