Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this post is just for a bit of a laugh really, but as I had posted on another thread sort of broaching the subject about the number of doors I thought I would start it's own topic.

Where should I start well, I come from the Southern Hemisphere and we did tend to use a lot of different terminology for everything including cars. So if you went and purchased a car it was a Two or Fourdoor and usually it was common place for bothvariantsto have a boot although I did find getting into acoupéa right pain when doing in from the boot when I came to this country, after all they said it was a door and called it a Threedoor. Somehow if you buy a car here that has two doors and a boot with a sunroof it is still a three door, they really forgot to mention it is a four door.

I think this whole 3 door and 5 door thing is just silly really and so I am taking the mik a little but I think some bright spark sales person started it to make it look like you were getting a whole lot more for your money. Can you imagine your Up Having just one back door and how daft that would look. Before you mention it I do realise that BMW have done it with that daft Mini Clubman, where they stuck in a silly little back door on just one side.

·
Registered
705 Posts
But what about the Hyundai Veloster? How many doors has that got?

Nick

·
Registered
120 Posts
It makes perfect sense, the term started in the 70's (as I recall), when this modern invention of a hatch back came in, The industry wanted to differentiate cars with a boot or trunk which was totally enclosed from cars with a hatch and folding back seats, thus giving a lot more space for carrying stuff.
Sometimes they would market a 4 and 5 door car in the same range.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Collas said:
But what about the Hyundai Veloster? How many doors has that got?

Nick

I don't know I have not looked at it but it may be an odd thing like the Clubman.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay just looked at the Hyndai and it is a nice looking car but the silly three doors and boot is just strange.

·
Registered
956 Posts
But didn't this all come about when hatchbacks first came on the scene? With the old style saloons that everyone used to have, we also called them 2 and 4 door cars. But when hatchbacks came along, the boot suddenly became more a part of the car itself, instead of a totally separate space. And at least one of the old estates (can't remember which one) actually DID have a door rather than a lift up hatch.

Or am I spouting bo**ox

Oops, looks like davidw beat me to it but at least I was on the right track

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clowesa said:
But didn't this all come about when hatchbacks first came on the scene? With the old style saloons that everyone used to have, we also called them 2 and 4 door cars. But when hatchbacks came along, the boot suddenly became more a part of the car itself, instead of a totally separate space. And at least one of the old estates (can't remember which one) actually DID have a door rather than a lift up hatch.

Or am I spouting bo**ox

Oops, looks like davidw beat me to it but at least I was on the right track

No I think you are right actually but it should be okay to apply to something like a Landrover Discovery which does have a back door. Or something like the Pajero or Shogun used to have a back door too but on a small hatch it is just silly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't think of any hatch that you could not use (if desperate) to enter the car.
The same can not be said for a boot lid !!

Mind you, you did say that the post was for a laugh - have you noticed that a lot more posts have started appearing once the logic behind points was explained !!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
davidw said:
I can't think of any hatch that you could not use (if desperate) to enter the car.
The same can not be said for a boot lid !!

Mind you, you did say that the post was for a laugh - have you noticed that a lot more posts have started appearing once the logic behind points was explained !!

I sure have. I know there is some logic to the naming it still just seems strange for me as in our part of the world they did not see it that way. We are a bit odd like that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
In the old days, people used to talk about the number of windows a vehicle had, so you had a six-light car, which was confusing. Do you count the quarter-lights as full windows or not? Apparently six-light cars had three windows on each side.

Nick

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Had my kids confused... when I said it was 3 door, they were looking for the third... they assumed it meant one side had one door and the other side had two!! Now that would be weird!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
My up! has 4 Doors..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts