Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How many miles do you typically get out of your UP when the petrol light is on?

CheersEdited by: philm

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
about 35 but wouldn't like to test it!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with privatedoc. I have done 35 after the light came on but the needle was right on the bottom.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would agree, seems to come on when have 40 miles left on M&M, but it goes down quick, so I would say maximum of 35. I take it as a sign to find a petrol station fairly quickly

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
M&M shouts at me from 40 miles left !...to be honest I fill up when the guage reads half full (which is probably actually 1/4 full in real money! tbh not very impressed with the Logarithmic movement of the needle!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I always assume that there is at least a gallon left in a car when the light comes on.

Never failed me yet!

·
Registered
128 Posts
According to the handbook there is 4 litres left when the light comes on and it says "fill the tank with petrol as soon as possible"Good advice especially wherepetrol stations are few and far between.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I never like to use the dregs, that's where all the crap settles and its possible this could be sucked up into your engine as the fuel filter may not catch it all.

·
Registered
430 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
They'll be no dregs in modern petrol in a modern car.
I have a modern motorcycle and put modern fuel in it, I can see a small amount of sediment in bottom of tank when its low and been stood for a while which disappears when given a shake so can't see why a car would be any different. However, i guess in reality if a car is used daily if will be sufficiently 'slopped' around so as not to matter.

·
Registered
525 Posts
juux said:
I always assume that there is at least a gallon left in a car when the light comes on.

Never failed me yet!
Maybe . . . But I would say the up gives less leeway than any other car I've owned. First time out in the car I was down in Kent when the light came in and i thought 'oh yeah, plenty of time to get petrol.' But a garage proved hard to find and I really did nearly run it dry. I always fill up when it gets to '1/4' now. Less stressful!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll go with the 35 miles as well, almost caught me out the first time, I was used to a good 55 miles with the fuel warning on in my good old diesel Golf, but I'm not complaining

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
I never like to use the dregs, that's where all the crap settles and its possible this could be sucked up into your engine as the fuel filter may not catch it all.

Ahh, this old chestnut.

The fuel pickup is near the bottom of the tank; where do you think the fuel is taken from, regardless of the state of fill? ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
also can damage the catalytic converter Ive heard if you actually do run out :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bob Up said:
also can damage the catalytic converter Ive heard if you actually do run out :(

Well, unburned fuel can damage the cats, but you're far more likely to do this bump-starting a car after getting a flat battery than from running out of fuel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
thats something to bear in mind then and reassuring to know... still i'm not gonna chance it lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts