Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming to the end of my first tank of fuel and I was wondering what mileage other people were achieving?

I'm guessing it will be a couple of days before I can tell exactly how many miles I've done in total.

I think I will be approaching 400 miles with a 75 engine

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I tend to top mine up when Ive still got 1/4 of tank left and I have usually done around 350+ miles, so I guess about same as you 400miles for a full tank in 75PS

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I'm not the most economical driver, but I've been trying, so was wondering how bad I actually am!

To be honest it's not many more miles than our 1.7tdi Lupo. Apart from diesel being more expensive, not a major saving. Probably about 50 more miles and the saving between fuels

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's good going Leif. Nicely bedded in I take it?

I had around 350 and 35 range when I filled it up on tank 1.

95 miles and I think 365 on the range thus far on tank 2. Range is not gospel though.

It is a bit to tempting to rev it sometimes! To quote our favourite Irishman, 'I'm 'trilled' with it'.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manacee were you doing different journeys on your second tank or was this purely because of loosening up?Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
212 Posts
A bit of both I think.

I work in a different town to where I live so have multiple options with regards routes. With the area being particularly hilly, being a bit of a geeky saddo and with the think blue trainer I now have a 'downhill' route to work and a flatter route back with a sharp rise at the end rather than a long drag.

I appear to get better mpg that way.

We'll see if it makes a real difference when the miles are on the clock rather than the range as it can change quickly. It did go up beyond 400 earlier in the week.

Perhaps we should both be getting tips from Leif though!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, 500! I would be well chuffed with that.

I do only do shortish journeys, my work route is only 8 miles each way. It's not that often that I drive much further than that, maybe the odd shopping trip to Milton Keynes once in a blue moon. Might take a few days away in the school hols, so will have more of an idea what the car does on a run

·
Registered
421 Posts
500 miles wow and I thought I was a green driver!

Have noticed though that 4th gear seems more like 5th and 5th you would use like 6th, it grumbles like **** if you Pootle along at 35 in 5th whereas I was always taught to go into 5th in that situation

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Manacee said:
Perhaps we should both be getting tips from Leif though!
There is someone on this forum, a Scot I think, who gets 68mpg from the 'lesser' engine. Perhaps they should advise.
We have had threads on this before, but if you have lots of hills and/or junctions, you are doomed. Otherwise, be boring, and think ahead, for example when approaching a roundabout, lift off the accelerator, and plan to merge in smoothly by adjusting your speed to match the traffic. Basically avoid braking and rapid acceleration. There are some IAM people here, including an ex-instructor who are more qualified to teach.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Was well chuffed this morning less than 100 miles on the clock and got 55 mpg on my route to work which had 2 hills in itEdited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm still on my first tank so not worrying too much about mpg yet as I think it'll get better when the engine's been run in a bit.

That said, I've used around half a tank so far (according to the fuel gauge) and done just short of 250 miles so that seems pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From my experience, the needle didn't move at all for the first 85 miles! Moved slowly up to half a tank, then it gets faster

So it doesn't appear that the gauge is 100% equal in its markings. My Lupo seemed pretty consistent with the needle movement Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now on 4th tank of fuel we run from full tank to when the warning light comes on.The warning light comes on at 520-530 miles.Just careful canny driving in a. Hilly rural area with a bit of urban driving. 560 miles equals 70 mpg that is our target.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My mpg seems worse on motorways dose anyone else find this

·
Registered
9 Posts
spud said:
I think its the same on most cars, in my mondeo tdci the mpg takes a big hit when on the motorway at 70. Much better mpg on 60 roads at 55 in fifth. Just got to learn where your car has the most pull, my mondeo has maximum torque at 1750 revs so i find if i cruise at those revs i get my best mpg.

When me and my girlfriend test drove the up i really didnt like the shift light, it was telling me to move upto fifth and the car was struggling and making a bad noise, so i took it with a pinch of salt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi

I haven't had my up too long however so far I have been very impressed with mpg I am getting - I have a move up! so it is not the 75hp engine

First trip I got around 71mpg:

Today for a longer more urban drive I got 69mpg!

Note - the driving range 450 milesthat'snot including what I have already done since filling up the tank to full (80 odd miles done already) - so looks like I could manage the 500 miles per tank if I keep up the careful driving :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
spud said:
Only if you go fast. 70mph uses quite a bit more fuel than 60mph, 80mph is very bad. I keep to 60mph, and average 63mpg in a TakeUp. I do not believe the official mpg figures, as I should be getting more like 70mpg, then again the combined figure always has been the more realistic one for me even when doing loads of long motorway journeys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Extra Urban is outside of town, at speeds upto 75 mph averaging 40mph in the fuel consumption test I think. Therefore useless at predicting Motorway fuel economy. Cruise at low rpm in top gear for max fuel savings on Motorway

1 - 20 of 32 Posts