Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about the older Fiat Punto which was on sale for 13 years in the same shape in the UK... The Ups now over 10 years old while still being basically the same platform, ignoring facelifts. Wonder how many more years we'll be seeing brand new Ups for?...

I feel like we'll see something like an ID1 come along in a few years, a bit like how the ID3 got rid of the E-Golf

·
Registered
68 Posts
Its going to be a tough act to follow with class leading pretty much everything even after all these years, the looks are pretty timeless too as its never succumbed to over designed razor brigade, only thing against it is its price but you get what you pay for, I don't think VW will be able to emulate it, just hope they don't dumb it down

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
97 Posts
Given the difficulty in making a profit on city cars and the fact that VW aren’t developing new internal combustion engines I don’t think we’ll see a direct replacement unless you count the the ID life concept which is aiming for €20000 in 2025, (definitely an e-up! killer)
The South American market might save the up! beyond that, keep selling them there until ice is outlawed but I doubt there’s money to be made in developing a replacement for a single market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We will soon also see an updated all electric car in the smallest segment as the climate get worse and more people got worried and the battery-prices get lower.
But as the market function it starts with big cars for early adopters and will also reach the mass market if the planet will survive in a habitat condition!?
sorry for my bad english-i`m swedish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Given the difficulty in making a profit on city cars and the fact that VW aren’t developing new internal combustion engines I don’t think we’ll see a direct replacement unless you count the the ID life concept which is aiming for €20000 in 2025, (definitely an e-up! killer)
The South American market might save the up! beyond that, keep selling them there until ice is outlawed but I doubt there’s money to be made in developing a replacement for a single market.
Just watched a YT-piece and review on the ID.life. It looks very much like the next gen VW up!. Just as in the up! it uses a smart phone to interact with the car. You can even change gears (P R N D) and activate the cars' signals through the app. 🤨😄 I don't know if could live with the zip fastener frunk (bonnet) and roof lids tho. Thank god, that some of the prototype gimmicks never make it into series-production.

But I still feel battery power is not the ultimate answer. However thats a discussion for another time in another thread.
Agreed. Just my 2 cents worth ... the consensus among mobility experts in Germany is that it will be a mix of ice, battery, and hydrogen that will power personal mobility in the future. At least for the next 10-15 or 20 years. And they are working hard on synthetic fuels as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whatever VW do i hope they don't go down the irritating touch screen for everything route, it was bad enough on my 2018 GTD, so many options you tended to leave everything as it was and put up with it, I love my Gti for being a simple, fun hooligan

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yep, it's getting dangerous. Drivers will gradually be turned into the car equivalent of all these phone zombies you see in the streets, and shops - almost everywhere in fact.

Nothing wrong with a few tactile buttons, knobs and levers that you can find and operate without looking...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think the latest Golf GTI has loads of stuff on the touch screen. I am not sure if the new Polo GTI has.

The phone zombies make me laugh. Last week in town, 3 girls were walking towards me side by side, obviously friends together. All 3 were going tap tap tap on their phones. I bet they were texting each other.

These days its not a game of spot the clown with a phone as you lose count there are so many. A better game is to spot someone without a phone. There's me and............................er me.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
... and you can guarantee they will plough you down on the pavement!

We always laugh at the "pavement muppets" who have never heard of single file when encountering other walkers on a narrow path. Phones simply make them more oblivious. I hope Darwinism prevails.... Which is why I have erected signs near motorways saying "walk blindly in this direction so as not to to lose your signal for your trivial blethering". I live in hope of a decent score for Darwin!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did move to the side to avoid these clowns.

However I have noticed that even on the rare occasion that someone walks towards you without a phone in their hand, it is always me who moves to the side. They will not move even an inch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts