Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick how-to on swapping the front speakers. I'll let the pictures do the talking. No special tools required, but you will need a pair of speaker adapters. I opted to change the door speakers only and left the A-pillar tweeters alone.

Door card removal: remove two Torx screws hidden under plastic clips, pull hard (!) then slide towards the car to release clip near the lock.

A close-up of the standard 'Sound Pack' front door speaker. Actually not as bad as I was expecting. I have seen far nastier OE speakers than this, but we can do better...

Drill out those pesky rivets using a 5mm HSS bit. An extendable gooseneck magnet is useful to pick up the bits of swarf from inside the door.

Pretty surprised by how much moisture was in there. Lots of condensation on the outer skin and along the bottom of the door and even a small 'puddle' inside the speaker housing!

Might as well put some Dynamat sound deadening (waterproof, fortunately..!) in there while I'm at it...

A quick blast with a compressed-air gun should get rid of most of any 'debris' left in there.

The speaker adapters had to be modified slightly with a Dremel, so that the wires from the new speakers could be fed through the small kink VW kindly provide in the door (see photo 3).

Screw the adapter onto the door, then the speaker onto the adapter, not forgetting to feed the wires through the hole.

Tin the wires, seal with heatshrink tubing and tidy up with some electrical tape, as required.

Results:I went with some off-the-shelf Pioneer speakers I picked up for under £30 in the January sales, so not really high-end equipment. The difference is a far crisper and brighter sound, with far less distortion thanks to the higher power handling capacity and Dynamatting.

When I had finished the first door, I played about with the balance to compare the two different speakers: the OE side sounded as if someone was holding a pillow over the speaker grill.

The first door took me a couple of hours, but I did the second in under an hour.

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey. I would like to know about speakers size in VW Up. The audio in my version is... doesn’t exist ? I need to create a amplifier output in OEM radio, install Apline amplifier and change the speakers.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts