Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wasted nearly 11 months driving my up like a diesel. That is, changing up early and keeping engine speeds low. A number of people on the forum have been saying if you want performance USE THE GEARS DUMMY! I've just started doing that. I don't redline the car - i probably max at 5K rpm and try to keep the engine at 3K which is when max torque arrives - same with both up engines. What a revelation!! I had my move up flying along the twisty, hilly roads in the Forest of Dean yesterday with two passengers and some luggage too. When i first checked my fuel consumption after the more spirited driving started about a month ago it was just 1.2 mpg worse. A well worth while trade off! And to think i got close to trading it in for a Polo just because i didn't know how to drive it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since owing my Up!, l usually chance gears around the 3k to 4k.
l don't bother with the gear change indicator, which to me is stupid, as its usually tells me l should be in 5th when doing only 50-60km/h!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting. I will try to remember that when mine arrives next week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes - having taken delivery on Friday last week I have noticed that the peak power is at about 3000 rpm. Low revs for a leisurely stroll on quiet roads. 3-4000 for fun through the country lanes - sounds good to me. But I will run it in gently for a bit before doing that.

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
downunderup said:
Since owing my Up!, l usually chance gears around the 3k to 4k.
l don't bother with the gear change indicator, which to me is stupid, as its usually tells me l should be in 5th when doing only 50-60km/h!!!
It not really 'stupid', its just trying to advise you of the most economical (not fun or fast) gear changing pattern. Whenever driving around town/city roads in my up!, I'm in 5th gear from 30mph, and its never caused me an issue.

Of course, the drive is much more spirited when the speed limits allow!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive it like if it were a Diesel (my car before was a Seat Cordoba sx TDI), par motor is good to be a petrol, that is due to the engine design, long stroke cilinders and 3 cilinders.... you don't need to go further 3000 rpm, this is why it is so economic in petrol...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I realised that gear change indicator was hopeless quite quickly. It just wants 5th immediately! I tried following instructions on a steep hill once and nearly ground to a halt! Using the gears is much the best plan to keep the revs in the zone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It also depends not the HP of the engine... the 60ps will have have to worked a bit harder to give performance. but will be better on economy if driven differently.even down to the correct tyre pressures can make a difference.
even a head wind will effect the economy/performance.

These cars are built mostly for Economy, until the arrival of the GT... then we get all sporty. woo hoooo...
being able to have fun in these cars in the twisty lanes is just a testament to the design and build of these little gems... So drive them as they are designed... to be fun and economical.
Be Safe - Its **** out there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't wait to pass the 'running in' stage, so that I can start to press my foot to the floor with more vigour.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi

My High UP 5dr has completed just 6500 miles and it flies along. As far as changing gear in conjunction with theinstrumentindication - why not use the tried and testedmethod that we are all used to (maybe not all of us lol) i.e. - your ear - (unless deaf) - it works a treat - funny thing technology eh!!!!! just telling us something that we already know..........

No oil used either in 6500. Always 45 - 55 MPG depending but never below 45...........

·
Registered
61 Posts
6000 miles, thats ages away for me! I've had my car since June and have only done 880 miles so far!

I definitely agree you need to rev the engine out to get the power out of it, once you hit 3k in 2nd it does start to move!

In terms of fuel economy though I've not been overly impressed in busy traffic, over 10 miles and 45 minutes I averaged 28mpg...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3K rpm is when the max torque kicks in on both engines so it certainly is the best engine speed for performance vrs fuel economy. 28mpg is shockingly low though. My daily commute is just 4 miles to the local train station so most of that journey would be on a rich mixture while the engine warms up and i still get 46-48 mpg. Are you using the right litres to gallons conversion figure?

·
Registered
184 Posts
AlanG said:
3K rpm is when the max torque kicks in on both engines so it certainly is the best engine speed for performance vrs fuel economy. 28mpg is shockingly low though. My daily commute is just 4 miles to the local train station so most of that journey would be on a rich mixture while the engine warms up and i still get 46-48 mpg. Are you using the right litres to gallons conversion figure?
As above make sure using the British imperial conversion rate and not the American.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That figure is straight out of maps and more. It was a mixture of about 5 miles heavy traffic downhill and then 5 miles of empty rural lanes.

On a 220 mile round trip it averaged 59mpg so it redeems itself on the motorway!Edited by: gibsonc

·
Registered
583 Posts
downunderup said:
On flat roads, it'll happily do that in 5th.
Actually, 45 in 5th is also possible.
And 30 kph / 20mph zones in 4th - only when thoroughly warmed up though.

It takes a light touch on the throttle to stay at those speeds, as it'll accelerate slowly when you give it even a wee bit too much throttle.
But it returns silly MPG in those conditions.

If you want to go fast , go beyond 4000 rpm and it becomes a different car .
Useful on occasions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I never bother trying to drive it with anything other than economy in mind as its woeful at everything else.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts