Up Owners Club banner

am i screwed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little up and i have to make a 166 mile journey tomorrow with about 16 litres of fuel but recently its only been averaging 35mpg, I'm going into a garage to get it seen to but I need to know what is the best way to maximise my fuel consumption to get me home otherwise I'm going to have to explain to my parents I cant make it home tomorrow as ive ran out of fuel in the middle of the a90 and have no money to get fuel. anyone got any hypermiling tips aside from keeping the windows down, sticking to low revs, no radio, no aircon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I still work in gallons so that is about 3 and 1/2 gallons. You would have to get 50 MPG to be on the safe side. Even if you got 45 MPG you would be a bit short of your destination.
I agree with everything Freemansteve says. Just take things nice and easy and keep the windows closed not open.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Calum
If you really want to test it you need a spare gallon in the boot. Keep under fifty and follow the advice above and you should be good for 55-60mpg. 35mpg ? unless you were on a track day, it's broken 🤦‍♂️😒

·
Registered
54 Posts
All good advice, currently I fill mine up and record each quantity per fill as as a "most realistic" MPG

Don't forget I'm mostly urban driving with people that can't drive (learners) Last 4 fill ups gave me

55, 58, 53, 56 mpg therefore I reckon she's doing 55 mpg average. I do around 600 - 750 miles per week budgeting for around 3000 miles a month!

Don't forget to try planning your approaches to junctions / roundabouts / lights etc... you'll be amazed how much less stopping / starting you can do by timing it better.

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
97 Posts
Plan ahead and avoid using the brakes, make sure your tyres are pumped up and ditch any unnecessary weight. Whatever you do don’t let yourself get wound up by other drivers and try overtaking/stopping them overtaking etc.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Don't forget to try planning your approaches to junctions / roundabouts / lights etc... you'll be amazed how much less stopping / starting you can do by timing it better.
+1 and mug a few BMW's on the way through. They race up, braked hard, stopped. You backed off, modulated, timed the throttle, nailed it on the inside as the colours changed and had a rolling start. Queue BMW streaming up behind you 30 seconds later, for a re-match shouting he'd been robbed !! Best fun you can have with your pants on !! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1 and mug a few BMW's on the way through. They race up, braked hard, stopped. You backed off, modulated, timed the throttle, nailed it on the inside as the colours changed and had a rolling start. Queue BMW streaming up behind you 30 seconds later, for a re-match shouting he'd been robbed !! Best fun you can have with your pants on !! 🤣🤣🤣
I could never promote such driving..... (!) Nice though and exactly what happens!

·
Registered
338 Posts
my little up and i have to make a 166 mile journey tomorrow with about 16 litres of fuel but recently its only been averaging 35mpg, I'm going into a garage to get it seen to but I need to know what is the best way to maximise my fuel consumption to get me home otherwise I'm going to have to explain to my parents I cant make it home tomorrow as ive ran out of fuel in the middle of the a90 and have no money to get fuel. anyone got any hypermiling tips aside from keeping the windows down, sticking to low revs, no radio, no aircon.
Did you make it then?

Seriously, if you are only getting 35mpg then either something is wrong with your car or you are ragging it all the time!

My son gets about 50 mpg and drives it with no concern for economy as he's not paying for the fuel. I get about 55mpg just driving normally as it pointless trying to rev out a 1 litre motor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What are people's thoughts on coasting down hill to save fuel? VW blue trainer eco babble thing says to coast in neutral. Occasionally I get bored driving and try for an mpg record on a journey!

When coasting in gear and in neutral the engine must be supplied with fuel. In gear, there must be additional resistance from the transmission. So neutral would seem best. I see some of the DSG boxes will coast automatically downhill in eco mode with engine shutting down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not so sure about this, I've an app linked to the ECU it shows not fuel flow with clutch up in gear rolling down hill for example. As soon as I touch the clutch fuel starts going through around 0.2gl/hr rate. Does the fuel actually cut off on an overun?

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
97 Posts
Is it not the case that modern fuel injection stops fuelling when coasting in gear, using the cars momentum to turn the engine where as coasting in neutral means fuel is injected for idling? I might have got that off of an old episode of top gear though.
If that’s the case then you’d coast further in neutral because you wouldn’t be using moment to move the engine, but you’d use more fuel.
Don’t take this to its logical conclusion and turn the engine off while coasting in neutral!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think this only possible with certain automatics. Stop/start has never kicked in when coasting in gear in any manual I have driven.

Modern DSG boxes in ECO mode can coast without using any fuel. If you lift off the throttle when going downhill, the following will happen. Firstly, the engine will cut out (an extension of the stop/start). Secondly, the engine and gearbox decouple. As soon as you press the accelerator, the engine restarts and the relevant gear is engaged again.

Think I will pass on the engine off coasting (even though it's the ultimate test of carrying momentum).

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have never noticed an engine stopping when coasting in neutral, ergo, it must be being fed with fuel. There are many engines that electronically cut off fuel when coasting in gear, so long as your foot is off the throttle, as the engine is turning, so chucking in fuel is a waste, and indeed the idea is to reduce pollutants and increase economy. The ECU knows as soon as you touch the throttle or press the clucth, to start the fuelling again. Maybe Ups do something different?

Stop/start (as on my car at least) senses you are stationary - it will not kick in unless you are - and the engine always restarts on a hill as soon as the car starts to move, irrespective of being in gear or the clutch sensor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts