Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planning on getting the dash wrapped but need to remove it and send it off. Anyone know the best way to remove it? Its only the red pieces I need to remove.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never tried it but I believe I read somewhere that its plastic welded onto the main dashboard so its probably a little more involved than it looks. I'm sure its possible to remove but probably would be easier to wrap in place if thats able to be done?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never tried it but I believe I read somewhere that its plastic welded onto the main dashboard so its probably a little more involved than it looks. I'm sure its possible to remove but probably would be easier to wrap in place if thats able to be done?
Ah that's a bit silly of VW, I wish it could be done in place however its having a leather mould made which will take a few days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah plastic melted riveted on. Stupid stupid design. I have the old piano black trim and it’s got two great big gouges from a previous owner. Would love to swap it out and I would go the effort if I could find one reasonably priced that wasn’t attached to another dashboard for £500.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ricky
Please keep us in the loop, if the company do it without taking the dash board out and at a decent price they could have some more customers !! 😏

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ricky
Please keep us in the loop, if the company do it without taking the dash board out and at a decent price they could have some more customers !! 😏
For me this mod goes into the irreversible bracket. I probably wouldn’t buy a car that had it done and I think it would cost quite a bit to put it back standard. But then I quite like the dash just as it is 👍

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree. I was put off at first by my car's gunmetal coloured, metallic-look dash panel - given the car is a nice speckly black (which is a pain to clean or repair of course) - but I barely notice it now... The various coloured dash panels just don't look right to me; it was probably caused by daft 20-something marketing people arguing about age and taste demographics and getting it wrong as usual.....

But, I suppose, without opening a can of worms, we're talking about a fairly disposable fun car for not a lot of dosh, not a £250K classic Ferrari, so who cares if such mods put off the next buyer? The thing is to make it look right for the owner. At least sometimes....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mask it up and out with a rattle can then?

yeah, that's viable, but you'll need a lot of time with tape and acres of brown paper!

I wonder if there is a self-textured paint in a can that might look good and match the rest of the dash to an extent?

Personally, I've seen some cars in the showrooms that would look better with carefully applied masking tape or duct tape :) :)

Everyone is into wraps now, but I remember "Fablon" !!!
Same idea recycled....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts