Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently buyed a Cross up! and the car is very nice, perfect for city drive but I'm experiencing a strange noise during traffic stop.

Tha car is equipped with HSA (hill start assist) and every time I stay stopped in traffic more than 1 min, the brake start to make a strange and irritating noise, like a whistle in the hydraulic system.

In VW, Portugal, they say it's a characteristic of the car!!?????

Now, the car is again in VW so they can talk to VW Germany........

Has anyone else heard of this noise?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It is not recommended that you remain stationery with the foot brake on for more than a brief time. For periods of more than a few seconds you should apply the handbreak. In answer to your question I have never heard any unusual noises from the brakes. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Beevee,

Don't get me wrong but this is the first time I ear that.

So, what you are saying is that, every time I stop in traffic light, I pull the hand brake?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That is what is recommended. Holding on the foot brake could be a cause of the discs warping also using the handbreak is safer if someone runs into you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding your arguments about someone runs into me, that makes sense.
About warping the discs, I'm not in the same oppinion.

The only away, that I know,you could warp the discs are with high thermical shock (cold water in hot discs), poor quality parts orif your discs were not properlly installed and the brake pads are not touching smoothly around all disc surface, creating hot spots in the disc and not dispersing the heat all around it... But I can be wrong!

Regarding the noise, I could not meet yet a UP owner with the hsa system.

For what I hear in the vw dealer, they tried with others UP but without the hsa system, the noise could not be heard, so the problem points to be the hill start system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts