Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered 14" steel wheels for winter, not going to put wheel trims on them so looking for some Hub caps, anyone got any suggestions of where to get them?

I've looked on ebay, the old style black 'cup' type ones that come with wheel bolt caps are a bit thin on the ground and seem to be sold as singles or incomplete sets, and can be about £15 each!

Not really seen any aftermarket options either. Only looking for something to stop the weather getting into the wheel bearings/hub nut, and to stop the wheel bolts from getting too rusty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Hub caps/wheel trims are the same thing.

Is it some sort of centrecap for the steel wheel you are looking for? Unless it came with them from the factory, no-one really makes such a thing.

Technically they are not the same thing. The americanism 'hub cap' refers to the what is an english term for wheel trim - as in it covers the whole wheel face to hide the steel wheel behind it.

A UK hub cap is rarely used by manufacturers, but when it is you will find it to be a small circular disc that fits of the visible part of the hub - or hub nut/locking pin (sometimes these are also referred to as a grease cap).

If you take off most alloy wheels you will find their is a section in the middle that you can knock out and is usually removed when fitting and balancing new tyres. That part is also referred to as a hub cap.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mangham54 said:
shakotanVIP said:
Hub caps/wheel trims are the same thing.

Is it some sort of centrecap for the steel wheel you are looking for? Unless it came with them from the factory, no-one really makes such a thing.

Technically they are not the same thing. The americanism 'hub cap' refers to the what is an english term for wheel trim - as in it covers the whole wheel face to hide the steel wheel behind it. 

A UK hub cap is rarely used by manufacturers, but when it is you will find it to be a small circular disc that fits of the visible part of the hub - or hub nut/locking pin (sometimes these are also referred to as a grease cap).

If you take off most alloy wheels you will find their is a section in the middle that you can knock out and is usually removed when fitting and balancing new tyres. That part is also referred to as a hub cap.
Just for an example, think of an old beetle wheel with a domed centre in chrome, thats what they used to mean by hubcaps.

I think of centrecaps as being the middle bit on an alloy wheel.

Think you may be right, will have to get a price from VW, to see how it compares to eBay. I,m looking for the type that covers the hubnut and the wheelbolts, sometimes they have clearance holes in for the bolts then individual caps for each bolt (fiddly if needing to change a wheel.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I ran my winters last year without trims. I did look for the seat steel wheel hub/center cap, but never got them. I did buy official vw trims this year as it offers a bit more protection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry for slight hijack!

Supermegamonkee - I seem to remember that you have steel wheels from mytyres? I got some recently too and was wondering whether the bolts from my alloys will be OK to fit the steelies. Is this what you use or did you get some different bolts, and if so what size?

Hope you can help.

End of hijack :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Indeed I did get mine from my tyres. Yes using original bolts with locking bolt too. The vw wheel trims even have space for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wheels turned up today from mytyres, yeah they have the radius seating that all VW wheelbolts have, always worth double checking that the bolts won't be going any deeper into the hub with the new wheels (and extra 5mm is ok but any more than that can cause issues)

Thinking I might try and get some flat centre/hub caps for them, now I've got them I've been able to measure the size of the recess, they look pretty o.e wheels so should be able to pick up some second hand ones that will fit.
Edited by: Andy T9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts